News Noctua's New Additions to 5V Fan Lineup

I came upon this while browsing Noctua's website:
https://noctua.at/en/noctua-expands-5v-fan-line-up-2018

"Vienna, July 4th – Noctua today expanded its line-up of premium-grade quiet 5V fans with new 200, 140, 120, 92, 80 and 40mm models. The new 5V versions of the existing award-winning NF-A20, NF-A14, NF-A12x25, NF-F12, NF-A9, NF-A8 and NF-A4x10 designs will be available both in 3-pin and 4-pin variants, the latter supporting PWM-based speed control. All fans include a USB power adaptor cable that allows them to run on USB host devices, power banks or USB power supplies."

The title is pretty self-explanatory, but there are new versions of the following fans:
NF-A20, NF-A14, NF-A12x25, NF-F12, NF-A9, NF-A8, NF-A4x10

The reason why I think these are kinda cool for SFF would be for internal use cases where there isn't much room for a fan controller and you're down to splitters (which may underpower some fans), or general quieter usage with most cases (especially with the A9, A8, and A4.) Also, technically, most 1U servers are under 20 liters, and for those, you could use some of these fans...

The fans don't look particularly innovative to me, but Noctua did come up for some uses on their news site:

“With the abundance of power banks and compact USB power supplies for smartphones, using one of these to power a 5V fan has become one of the easiest ways to tackle your everyday cooling needs,” says Roland Mossig (Noctua CEO). “Some extra ventilation for your A/V cabinet to protect that expensive home cinema receiver? Some extra airflow on your desk or in your bedroom? These are the everyday applications where our new, larger 5V fans step in!”

This is actually fairly old (July 4th), but I didn't see it until now, so I posted it.

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
I second this. Had the issue with Antec fans that could run at 5V but not start at 5 V
@BaK

Yes, I think that is what they mean. I'm also pretty sure (don't quote me on this) that they might run at the same RPM as their 12V counterparts...

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Feb 8, 2016
i used to have a silent rig where you'd have to push start the noctua fan when turning it on. Like a ford Model T :-D

this is good news for those type of builds with (for all practical purposes) passive sound levels without passive heatsinks the size and weight of a brick. A decent size top-down cooler with 120mm fan at 4-500 rpm you cant tell if the machine is on or off.

Reactions: owliwar and el01