Cooling Noctua NH-L12 3.0

No permission to download

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
XeaLouS submitted a new resource:

Noctua NH-L12 - 66mm or 93mm cpu cooler

Reconstructed from pictures. Heatsink only.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
How does one upload to this site? i keep getting errors so i hosted it on my dropbox.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What kind of errors?

I tested it just now and it uploaded fine here.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Everytime i upload to site, i get this:

The following error occurred
There was a problem uploading your file.

noctua nh-l12.zip​

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I tried uploading your file and it uploaded without issue. What time did you try? I can look up the server logs to see if anything helpful is there.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
i uploaded 2-3 minutes before i posted the message with the error (sorry, all times are in local time so i don't think giving the time on my view would be helpful)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Awesome! I didn't see any errors in the log files so I'm not sure why it wouldn't before.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, took another look at the model and noticed two things.

First, I assume you didn't mean to include the models for those two fans. If you import a model and then delete it, it doesn't always get completely removed. To remove all unused things you go to Window > Model Info > Statistics > Purge Unused. This will remove any unused components, materials, etc and reduce the file size.

I reduced the file size from 2.6MB to 510KB just from doing that.

Second, the bottom of the heatsink still has those lines, I'm not sure if you meant to leave those there. But also, that face is blue, which means the normals are facing the wrong way. SketchUp doesn't really care but if the model is imported into a 3D rendering program like Blender the normals all need to be facing out.

You can right-click on the face and select "reverse face" to fix it, or better yet, select a face that is correct, right-click, and select "orient faces" to align all the attached faces to the same direction.

Last edited:

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
@aiboh thanks! i did those fixes you stated and added a few missing grooves. I'm a sketchup noob haha.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We all have to start somewhere :)

I've been using SketchUp for quite a while now so I'm decently familiar with it but recently I switched to SpaceClaim because I needed something more powerful and got to be a noob all over again.

I tested and it didn't reduce the file size much but you'll want to start learning how to use components. Components are powerful for when you have a bit of geometry that will be repeated. The best example in your model is the heatsink fins. Each fin is the same and there are quite a few of them. Right now they are each individual and independent parts, what you will want to do is delete all but one of them, right-click and make it a component, then duplicate that component to recreate the fin array.

The power of components is if you need to edit them. Say you decide to make some adjustments to the fins to make them more accurate, with components, all you have to do is edit one of them and all the other fins will be updated immediately.

Help article: https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000124

Also, you may have already used this trick to make the fin array to begin with but just in case, when you use the Move command (and many other commands) and tap the Ctrl key, it creates a copy. So you can move the copy whatever distance you need, then type "x#" and Enter to make # of copies each spaced the same distance in the same axis.

Help article: https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000092

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
We all have to start somewhere :)

I've been using SketchUp for quite a while now so I'm decently familiar with it but recently I switched to SpaceClaim because I needed something more powerful and got to be a noob all over again.

I tested and it didn't reduce the file size much but you'll want to start learning how to use components. Components are powerful for when you have a bit of geometry that will be repeated. The best example in your model is the heatsink fins. Each fin is the same and there are quite a few of them. Right now they are each individual and independent parts, what you will want to do is delete all but one of them, right-click and make it a component, then duplicate that component to recreate the fin array.

The power of components is if you need to edit them. Say you decide to make some adjustments to the fins to make them more accurate, with components, all you have to do is edit one of them and all the other fins will be updated immediately.

Help article: https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000124

Also, you may have already used this trick to make the fin array to begin with but just in case, when you use the Move command (and many other commands) and tap the Ctrl key, it creates a copy. So you can move the copy whatever distance you need, then type "x#" and Enter to make # of copies each spaced the same distance in the same axis.

Help article: https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000092

Yup, i used the ctrl trick but knew naught of components.