Noctua NF-P12 PWM

Cooling Noctua NF-P12 PWM 1.0

No permission to download

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The file size is smaller than when I tried converting it but the accuracy isn't as good either, especially the fan blades.

I think to do it properly it'll have to be modeled from scratch in SketchUp and there's no way I'm attempting that :p

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
The file size is smaller than when I tried converting it but the accuracy isn't as good either, especially the fan blades.

I think to do it properly it'll have to be modeled from scratch in SketchUp and there's no way I'm attempting that :p

More detail is possible but it also equates to a bigger file size. But you either you spend hours cleaning up all the excess edges and faces or you have to model it from scratch.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I think a good mid-point would be 3dsmax or Blender. It's the same base type polygon modeling like Sketchup has but much better manipulation and control over them. Not my forte though.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I have an HND in 3D modeling and animation, but been mostly using 3DS and Maya. Tried blender, as I can't afford a licence for any of those 2, but Blender need to relearn the UI from zero.

Might invest more time into it when I have some free time.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Blender is currently much, much better than it used to be but it's still clunky.

You can get the student versions of almost all the Autodesk software even if you don't have a student email address (at least here in the USA) unless you're wanting to use it for commercial purposes.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
If only someone had the skills and knowledge to write a converter tool from solid to polygonal models. In theory a basic open-source library would suffice. If it's written well, support for various formats could be added easily.

The hardest part of that is a good and adjustable 3D approximation algorithm for converting the solids to polygons. Right now, you have very little control over the final polygon count, and that seems to highly impede the performance of SketchUp. Something like that must exist inside 3DS Max already, but it's probably hard and illegal to get it out and redistribute it.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
If only someone had the skills and knowledge to write a converter tool from solid to polygonal models. In theory a basic open-source library would suffice. If it's written well, support for various formats could be added easily.

The hardest part of that is a good and adjustable 3D approximation algorithm for converting the solids to polygons. Right now, you have very little control over the final polygon count, and that seems to highly impede the performance of SketchUp. Something like that must exist inside 3DS Max already, but it's probably hard and illegal to get it out and redistribute it.

It's true that it's basically already in 3dsmax, but I'm haven't taken an actual deep dive into it, I've just tried some simple import export settings to keep the amount of time required.
If I import every part of a model seperately and optimize each import to the specific parts, a fan blade needs more polygons than a heatsink fin. I bet I can get much better results for the Sketchup model. But to be a little honest, I'm only making the sketchup version because people use it. We are actually unique on this forum for having this many CAD modeling people vs sketchup users, at least at this moment.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I see, so what would be easier is a plug-in for 3DS max that just automated the whole workflow. Not that I'd want to write that sort of thing. Maybe you could even do it in iLogic exclusively.

Well if you think about it, we are also unique for the amount of people that actually produce or want to produce their case design and maybe start their own company on the basis of that, so it makes sense for us to use CAD programs, because those were made for exactly that. I don't want to model all my sheet metal parts in SketchUp and then draw the technical drawings with Illustrator, thank you very much.
I'm amazed every time I see @Necere show renders for new concept designs, he is a master with SketchUp, but still, w360 uses Solidworks for the production models.