NCASE M1 VS FormD-T1?

Toxic201

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
I recently started getting into the whole SFFPC thing and I'm planning on building one for myself in September. I've fallen in love with T1 as soon as I saw it and want to build a system inside of it. T1 being smaller will make it easier to carry around as I will be moving my pc from my uni house to home (to a different country). From what I've seen M1 has more cooling options and is a bit easier to build in but for the hardware I plan to put in those cases I don't know if there will be any need to go with the bigger case which is the M1.

My main plan is to wait for Ryzen 4000 series to launch as well as Rtx 3000 series. For the CPU I'm thinking of 3600-4600 (x) Liquid cooling for the CPU or maybe the whole system. 256gb NVME SSD for boot and 2-4TB QVO for larger storage. For the graphics card, I'm thinking of getting 3080 (or whatever they will be called). As for the power supply on some of the threads, I've read people recommend going with a platinum-rated one instead of a gold-rated one. I would appreciate any suggestions and tips you guys will give about the whole SFFPC concept. Noise levels don't really matter as I use headphones most of the time.

TL;DR I'm getting into SFFPC's and wonder which case I should go with. Inside the system will be 3600 equivalent of 4000 series Ryzen CPU (Water cooled) and RTX 3080. Smaller case is better as I will move my setup every 3 months or so and carry it on a plane.

eyi526

Efficiency Noob
Apr 28, 2020
Plan the fact you can't bring watercooled pc in the plane
Great point. Probably doable if OP drains the liquid out and refills after landing.

As for the cases, while I have neither, I think they're both great options. I actually preordered an NCASE for my first ever SFFPC build. I think it has enough space for me to experiment with configuration (cables, cooling, etc.). I prefer the look of the T1, but it might be too small for my liking. Since I can't get my hands on one for an undetermined amount of time, I'll never know.

Toxic201

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Plan the fact you can't bring watercooled pc in the plane

I thought I could put it in checked-in baggage but if it needs to be drained I may do that.

I prefer the look of the T1, but it might be too small for my liking

I'd like to as small as possible without really compromising on the performance but as you said M1 has lots of space for everything. Its also another reason why I'm stuck in between these two cases.

eyi526

Efficiency Noob
Apr 28, 2020
I thought I could put it in checked-in baggage but if it needs to be drained I may do that.

I'd like to as small as possible without really compromising on the performance but as you said M1 has lots of space for everything. Its also another reason why I'm stuck in between these two cases.
TSA might let you bring it, but it's the (amount of) liquid that will be a concern. I remember watching a woman at security pour out a tub of hummus or something because it was over the limit haha.

As for the cases, I feel like you can't go wrong with either. Just depends if you're in a hurry to get a case or not. You can still preorder the M1 and get it probably by June or July. I didn't see any projects dates/updates from Sidearm.

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
TSA might let you bring it, but it's the (amount of) liquid that will be a concern. I remember watching a woman at security pour out a tub of hummus or something because it was over the limit haha.

As for the cases, I feel like you can't go wrong with either. Just depends if you're in a hurry to get a case or not. You can still preorder the M1 and get it probably by June or July. I didn't see any projects dates/updates from Sidearm.

I agree. I’m having the same debate as OP and I’m convincing myself to wait. If you can’t wait just get the M1. If you can then the T1 is the choice. Just gotta know the limitations of the case.

Toxic201

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
You can still preorder the M1 and get it probably by June or July
I'm not in a hurry as I stated in the post I'll start my build in around September also as far as I know (for Europe specifically for the UK ) you can put liquids in your hold baggage. In the meantime, I'll do more research on both of the cases to see if going with the smaller one (T1) is worth waiting longer. I plan to put the pc in big baggage so both of them will fit according to my research.

Toxic201

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
If you can then the T1 is the choice. Just gotta know the limitations of the case
I was thinking similar but I kinda have the thought that going with M1 will be easier as there is more space inside it but I really like T1 so that probably will be my choice.

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
I was thinking similar but I kinda have the thought that going with M1 will be easier as there is more space inside it but I really like T1 so that probably will be my choice.

I built in the M1 years ago for my first sff pc. It’s definitely easier and you have more options for “future proofing” for parts. With the T1 if you want chip like the 3900x/9900k it doesn’t make much sense to me but to watercool it. I think your patience will pay off though.

Toxic201

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
I built in the M1 years ago for my first sff pc. It’s definitely easier and you have more options for “future proofing” for parts. With the T1 if you want chip like the 3900x/9900k it doesn’t make much sense to me but to watercool it. I think your patience will pay off though.
I'll be going with a mid-ish tier such as 3600 or equivalent in 4000 series. Also, I wanted to ask if going with a full loop is worth the extra effort. For "future-proofing" I think T1 would hold up just as good considering it has 3 slot options for graphics cards and thermals are better with each generation of CPU.

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
Personally I am going with a full loop in the T1 (and M1 if I can’t get the T1) for the extra effort and challenge. Watercooling does offer some great temp improvements though. I have a Cerberus X and I sold some stuff so I was just using my NH L9a in there as a place holder. I had my 2700 at stock and temps were always hitting in the 70s. Even with two exhaust fans next to it. I had this same cpu in the S4M-C and it rarely ever got past 65c. Once I water cooled it with the LT 240 solo (which I’ll use in the T1 and M1) my temps dropped to 55c max at 4.0 ghz at 1.3v. I’d say it’s worth it. Water cool the cpu and use the different configs for the T1 and I think you’ll be happy. Only issue is the number of drives you can fit.

Toxic201

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Water cool the cpu and use the different configs for the T1 and I think you’ll be happy. Only issue is the number of drives you can fit.
I was thinking of going with a similar setup to yours for water cooling and I'll be using 1 NVME drive for boot and 1 2-4TB ssd for bigger storage so it should be fine.

hikoship

Case Bender
New User
May 1, 2020
I've been thinking of exactly the same question recently. IMO NCase (especially V6) is great for 240 AIO cooled CPU + air cooled GPU in terms of both thermal performance and building simplicity. On the other hand, the custom loop T1 by OptimumTech is so sick that I'd rather sacrifice thermal and/or performance for building something like this.

Toxic201

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
I've been thinking of exactly the same question recently. IMO NCase (especially V6) is great for 240 AIO cooled CPU + air cooled GPU in terms of both thermal performance and building simplicity. On the other hand, the custom loop T1 by OptimumTech is so sick that I'd rather sacrifice thermal and/or performance for building something like this.
I fell in love with T1 as soon as I saw that video. Also, as you said M1 has great support for 240 rads and haS bigger space to work with but a fully watercooled T1 sounds like a lot of fun to work on.

liyi0522

Caliper Novice
Apr 14, 2020
M1 case has great air cooler solution for both CPU and GPU. Noctua NH-U9S with extra fan and 2 AF 12-25 case fan at bottom setup as exhaust fan (remove GPU fan and shroud or replace it with arctic cool heat sink). Since you are going to use x600 CPU, it won’t produce much heat.

gregbiv

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2020
I have the same dilemma as well, especially after OptimumTech released the video about two 240mm rads running on M1. With better temps, but the interior in M1 in this case (no pun intended) became so much cramped and I do love the sandwich-style in T1 so you can show off with water-cooled CPU/GPU on both sides. With M1 you won't see anything unless you will disassemble it. Again, SFF is always a compromise ... you have to pick which compromise is ok for you.

I feel like with good hardware (I have 3950x and 2080ti) you won't need an overclocked machine anytime soon. All upcoming games are going to run with excellent fps in ultra quality. And for at least 2 years the T1 will work just fine to me and if there will be a better case or hardware I will just end up building a completely new system.