MR TORGUE SAYS HELLO

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hello there, welcome to the forum!

We sure love to know more about you, your point of interest in this SFF world, your current build, or anything, really - as the "meow" doesn't explain a lot ?

Reactions: Phuncz

MrTorgue

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Hahahaha sorry :)

I bought one of the original NCASE M1s back in... 2013? Love it and doubt I'll ever change to another case (except another M1). Was a challenge to build it with my chunky hands and fat fingers but that's part of the fun right?

Current build is a 4790k on a Z97 Asus Impact VII board, 16GB DDR3, a Samsung xp941 SSD (options were limited back then!), an EVGA GF980Ti, SF600 PSU with custom cables, Noctua fans everywhere, a ROG PG278Q GSync Monitor, Filco keyboard, Logitech lightspeed mouse. Machine serves me brill for what I use it for, but would like 60+ FPS consistently at 1440p and for it not to run as hot as the current one does. I don't overclock anything, but the GPU is not a blower and as a result I usually game with the side panel off.

With the advent of the 3080, I'm wondering whether to build a whole new machine in the M1 v6.1 (and sell the old one), or just upgrade GPU (and maybe add fans underneath it) and swap xp941 with a faster M2 SSD and then see what happens. Ideally I want it as silent as possible even when gaming. I've no need for WiFi, thousands of USB ports, Type C, overclocking CPU/GPU/RAM.

Tempted by new build but feel like the 4790k could still have some legs in it yet... new build would be NCASE v6.1, 10900F, 64GB RAM, 1 (maybe 2) TB NVMe M2 SSD, unknown mobo (one of the bits I want help on, with my limited needs I don't know if Z490 is overkill or whether H470/B460 would suffice), 3080 (or maybe a Ti if they announce them soonish, or perhaps do it on EVGA step up), SF750, same monitor/mouse/keyboard. And more Noctua fans :) deshrouding GPU to improve noise and thermals will be a lovely option too.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hahahaha sorry :)

I bought one of the original NCASE M1s back in... 2013? Love it and doubt I'll ever change to another case (except another M1). Was a challenge to build it with my chunky hands and fat fingers but that's part of the fun right?

Current build is a 4790k on a Z97 Asus Impact VII board, 16GB DDR3, a Samsung xp941 SSD (options were limited back then!), an EVGA GF980Ti, SF600 PSU with custom cables, Noctua fans everywhere, a ROG PG278Q GSync Monitor, Filco keyboard, Logitech lightspeed mouse. Machine serves me brill for what I use it for, but would like 60+ FPS consistently at 1440p and for it not to run as hot as the current one does. I don't overclock anything, but the GPU is not a blower and as a result I usually game with the side panel off.

With the advent of the 3080, I'm wondering whether to build a whole new machine in the M1 v6.1 (and sell the old one), or just upgrade GPU (and maybe add fans underneath it) and swap xp941 with a faster M2 SSD and then see what happens. Ideally I want it as silent as possible even when gaming. I've no need for WiFi, thousands of USB ports, Type C, overclocking CPU/GPU/RAM.

Tempted by new build but feel like the 4790k could still have some legs in it yet... new build would be NCASE v6.1, 10900F, 64GB RAM, 1 (maybe 2) TB NVMe M2 SSD, unknown mobo (one of the bits I want help on, with my limited needs I don't know if Z490 is overkill or whether H470/B460 would suffice), 3080 (or maybe a Ti if they announce them soonish, or perhaps do it on EVGA step up), SF750, same monitor/mouse/keyboard. And more Noctua fans :) deshrouding GPU to improve noise and thermals will be a lovely option too.

High five, fellow Intel Haswell user! I have been using my i5-4670 for 7 years now LOL. And yes for my current use, it's still pretty OK. I upgraded my GPU to 1660 super about 6 months ago, and it's OK for my gaming usage (60 FPS at 1080p).

For 60+ FPS at 1440p, I guess you can get at least 2060, 2060 super, or 2070 (assuming that the 20x0 series price will go down).

If not, quite sure a 3060 (or 3050 super or 3050ti?) should suffice.

But then again I highly suggest to wait for updates from the red team. Big Navi is around the corner if I recall correctly. Even if you don't use AMD, it can probably help to drive prices down.

MrTorgue

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
High five, fellow Intel Haswell user! I have been using my i5-4670 for 7 years now LOL. And yes for my current use, it's still pretty OK. I upgraded my GPU to 1660 super about 6 months ago, and it's OK for my gaming usage (60 FPS at 1080p).

For 60+ FPS at 1440p, I guess you can get at least 2060, 2060 super, or 2070 (assuming that the 20x0 series price will go down).

If not, quite sure a 3060 (or 3050 super or 3050ti?) should suffice.

But then again I highly suggest to wait for updates from the red team. Big Navi is around the corner if I recall correctly. Even if you don't use AMD, it can probably help to drive prices down.

Haha wahey! Glad to know i'm not the only one still using a CPU from almost 10 years ago... but I find for most things I wouldn't notice the difference between it and a 10th gen. That may change in a couple of years, but for now it's just as snappy as it has been. To be fair I only use it for work and gaming (and work isn't massively CPU intensive). Gaming is still mostly single core focused, right? In that your single core score is much more important that number of cores when looking at gaming performance? I'm wondering if I should simply get a 3080, deshroud it, redo the airflow in my case and keep that setup for another 7 years :) and hopefully pick up a side vented panel for the M1 when they're back in stock.

As for big navi, that's a good shout - at the moment I'm not in a massive "rush" as such; I'm happy to game with the side panel off for the time being as it'll help warm the office in winter :)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Haha wahey! Glad to know i'm not the only one still using a CPU from almost 10 years ago... but I find for most things I wouldn't notice the difference between it and a 10th gen. That may change in a couple of years, but for now it's just as snappy as it has been. To be fair I only use it for work and gaming (and work isn't massively CPU intensive). Gaming is still mostly single core focused, right? In that your single core score is much more important that number of cores when looking at gaming performance? I'm wondering if I should simply get a 3080, deshroud it, redo the airflow in my case and keep that setup for another 7 years :) and hopefully pick up a side vented panel for the M1 when they're back in stock.

As for big navi, that's a good shout - at the moment I'm not in a massive "rush" as such; I'm happy to game with the side panel off for the time being as it'll help warm the office in winter :)

Yeah IIRC my i5 single core score is still pretty OK. Surely there are some games which run better on multi-core CPUs, but thankfully I don't play such games. On top of that.. gaming is not exactly a priority in my life. 40-ish FPS? Why not, as long as it has a decent story.

Good that you're not rushing. Even if you decide to stay in the green team, you can wait for further reviews. The top-of-the-line 30xx cards are electronic volcanoes, so I suggest you also wait for benchmark from the reviewers, as well as from others who use M1. The heat issue (and mitigation techniques) may help you to decide whether you should really go with 3080 or 3060, for example.

This is one of my principles in electronics/hardware: don't be the lab rat :) wait for a while & let reviewers & vendors deal with early bugs or design flaws.

MrTorgue

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Yeah IIRC my i5 single core score is still pretty OK. Surely there are some games which run better on multi-core CPUs, but thankfully I don't play such games. On top of that.. gaming is not exactly a priority in my life. 40-ish FPS? Why not, as long as it has a decent story.

Good that you're not rushing. Even if you decide to stay in the green team, you can wait for further reviews. The top-of-the-line 30xx cards are electronic volcanoes, so I suggest you also wait for benchmark from the reviewers, as well as from others who use M1. The heat issue (and mitigation techniques) may help you to decide whether you should really go with 3080 or 3060, for example.

This is one of my principles in electronics/hardware: don't be the lab rat :) wait for a while & let reviewers & vendors deal with early bugs or design flaws.

I appreciate the advice :) 320-350W is a pretty hefty cooling difference to my current 250W on the 980Ti. And similar to you, I don't play many games, but when I do I want to enjoy it (I do get a little GRR at times when the 980 struggles, again probably my own fault for dialling things up a little too high in the settings).

I'm curious about the EVGA design that apparently has a 3090 in a 2.2 slot, 285x114mm package with the iCX3 cooler, I imagine that will sound like a jet engine and probably be as hot. Hopefully someone here picks one up and figures out something wonderful in their M1 that keeps it super cool with air and reasonably quiet too.

The more I think about it (and again, coming back to priorities) it may well end up with me sticking with the current build and just plopping a new SSD in there for now (the current xp941 still has decent resale value for macs for some reason), and then a new GPU once some people have managed to experiment with various configs in their M1s. I'll definitely get the larger vented side panels too as I imagine that's just a win win for the case in general.