Mini-STX AMD Cezanne into Dreamcast build

dcjunkfood

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Oct 5, 2021
Hi guys

For months I've been thinking about adding a Sleeper PC to my old dreamcast case. I've come up with the following setup:

-AsRock Deskmini X300 for parts
-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
-HyperX Impact 2 x 16GB SO-DIMM 260 pin
-Samsung 980 Pro M2 1TB
-Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black
-Pioneer BDR-UD03B

While researching, I noticed a project that looks very similar to my setup:

However, I would like to get as close as possible to the original, so that no changes are noticeable from outside. This means that I want to keep the ports as close to the original as possible. Now I have the following questions, which I hope someone here can answer:

1. Is it possible to take the blueray drive apart so that when I close the lid, the drive turns on?

2. Can I unsolder ports from the motherboard and forward them to the appropriate places just like that?

I would appreciate links, feedback and opinions.

• Love
Reactions: nerdbit

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Unsoldering and relocating modern connections (with high pin counts, throughput and signal speed) is a serious task if you're not experienced (or even if you are), so consider extensions first! Also means you can avoid making permanent modifications to your board(s).

If you want to use the lid with a BD drive, I'd suggest an external drive, rather than trying to convert an existing one from a completely different mechanism. Pioneer already offer a 'flip top' external drive: Pioneer BDR-XD07TB - 6x Slim Portable USB 3.0 BD/DVD/CD Burner

Hardware-wise looks pretty good otherwise, have you already got an X300? If not, be aware they may be difficult to source ( I hear ).