Renowned tech YouTuber Linus Sebastian was invited to Valve’s HQ for a some hands-on time with the upcoming Valve Steam Deck. While he was limited to only an hour and a half with the device, he was able to get some basic performance metrics, compare it to similar machines, and provide a lot of insights into Valve’s mini-pc handheld. He even goes so far as to test screen response, test Netflix, and examine the unit under a thermal camera.
As expected, the RDNA 2 based GPU portion of the Steam Deck’s APU substantially outperforms the previous generation’s Vega based GPU cores.
Check out his full thoughts here.

Continue reading...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 00-47-54 I tried Steam Deck early and it's AWESOME 1.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 00-47-54 I tried Steam Deck early and it's AWESOME 1.png
    868.6 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Consider I've been limping on iGPU performance since my GTX 1080 died early this year, I saw the Deck's announcement and thought it was amazing value. After Linus' early review I was sure I wanted this. The possibilities are amazing, supporting Linux gaming was also very tempting.
4€ reservation back then when it was announced, nah I'll buy it when it comes out. Now it's almost mid 2022 at the earliest. Oh well.

Reactions: Revenant