Low cost sff build

SMK

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hello how are you! I am doing a small, low-budget construction, since I live in Argentina (Messi country) and the components for sff are very scarce and very expensive. For the project, I chose an athlon 5150 and a GT730 had planned to use a 160 W PICO, but I'm afraid it won't reach and end up overheated, since it supposedly needs 300w of PSU. What you think? How is it possible to move your configuration with 160w / 150w? Does something escape me? On the other hand I read out there that they recommend the psupico xt but they are expensive for me since the construction came out 90dls! Do you recommend any other? Thank you! Sorry for my English

Reactions: CountNoctua

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hello how are you! I am doing a small, low-budget construction, since I live in Argentina (Messi country) and the components for sff are very scarce and very expensive. For the project, I chose an athlon 5150 and a GT730 had planned to use a 160 W PICO, but I'm afraid it won't reach and end up overheated, since it supposedly needs 300w of PSU. What you think? How is it possible to move your configuration with 160w / 150w? Does something escape me? On the other hand I read out there that they recommend the psupico xt but they are expensive for me since the construction came out 90dls! Do you recommend any other? Thank you! Sorry for my English

5150 use around 20w

GTX730 use around 40-50w I think?

Just google around.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

At most, that system would consume 100W.

A pico 120 would handle your system fine.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Hi, and welcome to the forums! As said by the two above, don't worry about your power draw - PSU requirement specs are ALWAYS overblown to account for all the variability in how people configure their PCs (and that some PSUs are terrible quality and can't deliver their rated output). A PC like that will likely consume less than 100W total even under the harshest power virus loads.

What case will you be using, by the way?

Reactions: CountNoctua

SMK

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
At most, that system would consume 100W.

A pico 120 would handle your system fine.

Hello thank you very much! I'll keep it in mind. I was reading many guides and I understand that the PICOPSU XT are the best there is, but due to the cost I wanted to know what PSUPICO could put

SMK

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hi, and welcome to the forums! As said by the two above, don't worry about your power draw - PSU requirement specs are ALWAYS overblown to account for all the variability in how people configure their PCs (and that some PSUs are terrible quality and can't deliver their rated output). A PC like that will likely consume less than 100W total even under the harshest power virus loads.

What case will you be using, by the way?

Hello! How are you? Thank you.
The case is ... playstation one fat!

I understand from the guidelines that the PicoPSU XT is the best (or one of them) but I don't know if they send to my country and they are quite expensive. Do you know any other cheaper option?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
For a wattage like that I wouldn't be scared of using one of those knock-off DC-ATX units off Aliexpress - but I would go for the "250W" version just to be safe (the wattage ratings on these are typically way overblown. Normally these go for something like US$20.

For example:

I can't vouch for the 250W version (I have one, but haven't used it at all really) but I have one of the low-end 80W ones (I think - can't remember right now) in a tiny ITX box I have with a 10W Pentium chip. It doesn't get much use, but it's been stable so far.

SMK

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
For a wattage like that I wouldn't be scared of using one of those knock-off DC-ATX units off Aliexpress - but I would go for the "250W" version just to be safe (the wattage ratings on these are typically way overblown. Normally these go for something like US$20.

For example:

I can't vouch for the 250W version (I have one, but haven't used it at all really) but I have one of the low-end 80W ones (I think - can't remember right now) in a tiny ITX box I have with a 10W Pentium chip. It doesn't get much use, but it's been stable so far.

Hi, I had a problem with my project and I burned the motherboard! But that is no problem with this one. Or rather I am in that. I may be selling this Asrock AM1H-ITX motherboard but I have a doubt it has a DC IN input but can I feed the GT730? for this connector? On the other hand I have the option of an I3 7100t (35w), can I also feed it with the generic PSU? How much would you consume with the GT 730? or is the HD 630 preferable? thank you!

Reactions: cleveland

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Hi, I had a problem with my project and I burned the motherboard! But that is no problem with this one. Or rather I am in that. I may be selling this Asrock AM1H-ITX motherboard but I have a doubt it has a DC IN input but can I feed the GT730? for this connector? On the other hand I have the option of an I3 7100t (35w), can I also feed it with the generic PSU? How much would you consume with the GT 730? or is the HD 630 preferable? thank you!
looking forward for answers to your question... :)