Is it possible (case idea)???

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
10" width by 8" length by 3.5" that is the nes size, great sff size, anyway can a mITX, a gpu a sfx psu (in the back) & a slim ODD fit... I think a 3.5 cutout for a i/o panel would also be cool, but not needed, but it would be awesome to upgrade the i/o panel to match mb front i/o...

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
No, it's not possible.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
The 5.7848" dimension will likely increase to accommodate the common "wider" gpu size ("ITX" sized gpu, Zotac mini gpu, etc)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Indeed. In principle if you used a card with the power connectors on the front the PSU would become the limitation, but those are rare as hen's teeth (R9 Nano is the only recent, higher end card I can think of). Or else use a low profile GPU, but those are pretty low end. Depends what your needs are though; for casual gaming, integrated graphics are often sufficient.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
You could do it with a flexATX PSU instead of SFX. For example, with a low profile GPU:

Or a regular GPU on a riser parallel to the motherboard (albeit a little over 3.5" tall):

But that leaves your CPU choked for air, so a back-to-back layout where both CPU and GPU get fresh air is optimal:

However that does require some clearance both above and below the case for sufficient air to enter.

Reactions: Biowarejak

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
If you are thinking about putting a PC into an actual NES, then I actually have experience with that. You will have to make compromises if you want to keep the original outside. You won't be able to fit a standard PSU in the case with a MOBO, GPU, and ODD. I can get actual dimensions later, but the base of the NES tapers in and provides more limits to what you can do. You will also have to cut a lot of the inside out and make the base completely flat to fit all of that in there. My suggestion would be, if you are looking to put a PC in an actual NES, determine what is most important and what you want to use this PC for. Without HEAVY modification, you will be limited as to what you can put in there and still have acceptable performance/cooling/noise.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Well if I had the resources, I would make a case the same dems. Metal & the base not go in... Ya SFX will not work with the GPU under MB.. Or could I put it in upside-down on the botom of the case??? Maybe smaller PSU will do well if that won't work???

I like that, just some changes... A bit taller so a dual width GPU will fit & switch it to under the mb...

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Meh, that case is Ok but the Element Q is waaaay better. The only thing its missing is dual slot card support but you can get some decent enough single slot cards now like the 1070 katana.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Meh, that case is Ok but the Element Q is waaaay better. The only thing its missing is dual slot card support but you can get some decent enough single slot cards now like the 1070 katana.

That 1 is a good choice also, just make it have a slim ODD bay & make it taller for 2 slots under the mb i/o cutout for a dual width gpu with a ribbon riser... That sounds easier anyway...