Intermittent sound/graphics issue, do I need a new pcie extension?

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
My wife's pc is in a phantek evolv shift which uses a pcie extension cable. for the past few months she's been having some issues, particularly during games or watching videos.

1) Her sound will randomly stop working (using audio over dvi to monitor) and will stay broken till a restart or changing audio devices
2) Both monitors (one over dvi one over hdmi) will lose signal and display "no signal detected" for a second or two before resuming as normal

Sound breaks nearly once a day and the displays disconnect up to a few times per game (20-40 minute period).
Hardware is ryzen 2700 and gtx 1070.
Tried DDU and new driver and different gpu driver versions already, didn't help.
Is my next course of action to try replacing the extension cable?

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Sorry, I can't offer any help but it does have some odd parallels to a situation I've been dealing with lately. I am using an external USB audio interface (Behringer UMC204HD, assuming I got the alphabet soup correct). Every now and then, the audio will drop out entirely. What I've been doing to get it back (other than restarting the computer) is to switch audio devices (e.g. to the motherboard or monitor DP), unplug the USB from the audio interface, let it power down (i.e. caps discharge I think), plug it in, and re-select audio output.

Now, it could be totally unrelated (my assumption was that it was tied to the interface itself overheating or something). Also, I won't have my display drop out randomly. If it's something with Windows, then we could be on to something.

You wouldn't have any other hardware you could try, would you? Maybe try swapping the video card for a different one, or swap the video card to a different computer to test it out (or both). That would help to isolate to the extender. I'm assuming the Phanteks case came with the extender. If so, maybe check Phanteks-specific forums or user feedback?

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Replacing the extension would be my next step given that risers/extensions can be flaky, even if Phanteks is using a good one (presumably they are).

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I know it would be a pain to do but you should pull the parts out of the case and install the GPU directly to the motherboard, see if that fixes the problem. Save you the trouble of replacing a good riser cable.

Reactions: tinyitx and TheHig

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Another thing you could try is to Dusty out both of those connectors, and the pcie slot. Maybe that might make a difference.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I know it would be a pain to do but you should pull the parts out of the case and install the GPU directly to the motherboard, see if that fixes the problem. Save you the trouble of replacing a good riser cable.
1+
While you are doing this, you can do a complete dust cleaning of everything inside the case.