Idea: Reverse blower style GPU

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Currently researching fitting GPUs for my flipped / reversed A4-H2O build, and briefly looked at the Asus RTX 4070 Turbo, because better power connector position, but realized it would be even worse for the build, because the air would essentially be dumped into the case or blocked by the AIO compartment.

So I got thinking like: What about creating / modding the GPU into a reversed blower style?

Eg. add 3x 40 mm or so fans, that push the air from the IO plate through the fins towards the other side of the GPU - and then pull the air up with eg. a 92 or 120 mm fan.

Has anybody done this before, just for testing if it works at all or is this just too inefficent / crazy?

cu, w0lf.

SFFMunkee

Buy first, justify later?
Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2021
I suspect that you probably won't get the pressure needed to push the air through the fins.
The reason blower ones work is they have huge amounts of static pressure through the design and the high rpm.

Reactions: riba2233

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I suspect that you probably won't get the pressure needed to push the air through the fins.
The reason blower ones work is they have huge amounts of static pressure through the design and the high rpm.
Yeah, thats why I was thinking about server-grade 40 mm fans. Something along the lines of the Arctic S4028-15K or the Supermicro FAN-0065L4.

But yeah, I guess thats something for another day.

RAAM

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 24, 2024
Loud, that is a big reason when I was playing around with Optiplex SFF computer mods I decided to build a Fractal Ridge now building an A4 H20, I just did not want a loud blower card.

As for heat issues you could cut a hole in the back of the case and mount the card up against it to blow the heat out as I plan to do on my A4 project though not a blower card.