I need a sanity check

|||

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
In a rant of Charlie Demerjian, he alluded to AMD's Zeppelin:

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/06/13/intels-broadwell-e-not-released/

Or wait for the big AMD Zen but I can’t say why yet, heh, Zepplin.

The thing I found interesting was this was entirely within the context of consumer processors...especially when he said a good alternative to Intel's B.S. could be "big" Zen.

He made a call-back to it in a recent Naples article (I don't have a subscription so I can't read it all), but he's really hammering on this and it seems he has seen details can't discuss them of because of an NDA.

From the rumor-heavy blogs, WCCTech referenced some Fudzilla stuff of Zeppelin:

http://wccftech.com/amd-zeppelin-32-x86-cores-vega-10/

According to these leaks, it is a multi-chip module with a CPU and a flagship-class GPU with HBM2. Am I right in thinking this could be correct and be huge?

|||

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Possibly this technology could be used there...separately manufacturing the CPU and GPU on separate dies and being able to mix and match them when combining onto a multi-chip module would improve the yields and binning. But, the stuff from WCCFTech was talking about the high-end Vega GPUs, not the Polaris that will be in Scorpio.

|||

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
I was as well...but that article is clearly bent toward consumer processors. Is it that he thinks the MCM will have price parity to the i7-6950X or something along similar lines? Perhaps AMD's justification would be that it has a built-in high performance GPU. That's why I started this thread...it all has me sort of bewildered.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
It could be their multi-chip substrate. Directly derivative of the substrate for their HBM memory they helped developed. There is information floating around about monster 32/64 core cpus for the server market from Zen which are combined multicore processors. Essentially its like the old 4 slot opteron boards but in a single package (AKA 4 cpus combined that all have 8/16 cores with multithreading).

There is no reason why they couldn't combine a gpu and cpu onto the multi-chip substrate in the same fashion, so a combination cpu+gpu of that caliber could be reality especially with the recent node shrinks.

This is all rumors tho at this point.