I 3D printed my own server rack case!

Jaxel

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
I posted all the images in an imgur gallery...

I have specific needs for a server case. Mostly, it must be small, so that it can easily be transported for air travel. It must be shallow, so it's easier to carry, and it must be light so it doesn't incur extra checked baggage costs. In this case, would be an overpowered rig which I use to stream video, so it can get very hot. So it also has to have good cooling.

Unfortunately, finding a case that fits all these needs is impossible. So instead, I decided to use MakerBeam and 3D print the case myself! This case is 3U, and only 8 inches deep! Because of how shallow it is, it fit's an mITX motherboard.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Fuck yeah, SFF server stuff. Right up my alley. How much did it cost to build the chassis?

Bifurcation too!

Jaxel

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
The makerbeam stuff costs about $60. The 3D printing material cost around $10.

But there were lots of incidental costs. Such as the vandal switches being $15 each, all the keystone jacks, etc...

Reactions: confusis

frequencyfields

Case Bender
Oct 20, 2019
I'm really interested in this but the photo link is broken now :(

Do you have more info on what you crammed into your system? I'm looking to build a 'media server' for live VJ'ing / visuals playback. Looking for the smallest footprint that can accommodate a nice GPU and ideally Blackmagic Decklink Duo 2 (2x PCIe slots, and double slot space for the GPU).

I hope your rig has been a dream!

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I'm really interested in this but the photo link is broken now
the imgur links work fine for me. If their baked for you i downloaded all the images and can rehost elsewhere but there is caption text that i didnt read that probably adds context and such

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
It was broken for me too when he posted, but works now. Maybe a hiccups on imgur's side.

Reactions: jØrd