HTPC in H1.S

Tossy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 3, 2018
Hey folks,

After finishing my DAN A4 build some time ago I got somewhat enthusiastic about SFF builds. I used my old PC (normal tower) as a HTPC for a few month and decided I wanted something smaller en less noisy.

My search in passive cases resulted in me wanting to build my own passively cooled case but because of a lack of time right now this has to be delayed. Still being annoyed by my big tower, I already got the hardware and a of the shelve case. Here presenting my results. Hope you guys enjoy.

Hardware:
Ryzen 5 2400g
B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
16 Gb G.Skill RipJaws V 3200mHz CL 14
Samsung EVO 970 1Tb
Meanwell RPS-200-12
PicoPSU-160-XT

All the hardware installed.

Made a crude mount for the Meanwell on the SDD frame. I didn't want block the vents in the base plate.

Crimped the cables being happy about my new crimping tool. This was a few days after installing the hardware as I hadn't realised that the MDPC crimping tool wasn't able to crimp the flat crimps that connect the cables to the C14 power entry.

The Meanwell with the cables installed...

...and mounted in the case.

And it was/is alive. To be honest I was quite relieved. I had made custom cables for my DAN A4 earlier. But using the Meanwell was a step further.

All in all. I really like the case. The build quality is very good, feeling heavy and solid. It is beautiful to look at in the living room.

What I didn't like about it:
1. The mounting solution for the CPU heatsink. Being accustomed to Noctua's solution it didn't feel good installing it. The plastic holders just look cheap and don't align perfectly with the baseplate. You can't be sure that you install the heatsink without it being angled slightly. I felt that a premium case with a premium price should have a better solution.
2. That also applied to the heatpipes. When put in the grooves at the side of the case not all of them would lie even on the heatsink. I had to use a bit of pressure to bend them into it. That probably won't affect the heat transfer but still it's a pity.
3. The standoff screws used to install the USB 3.0 frontplate being visible when looking at the outside of the case sideways and also being palpable when starting the computer.

While I admit point #3 could be seen as nitpicking the others in my eyes couldn't.

But back to my little project. To Do:
1. Make a nice mounting solution for the Meanwell.
2. Temperature tests
3. Perhaps find a better solution for the CPU mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar