HTPC build in DirecTV Receiver Box

Zachary

Case Bender
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
Anyone seen this done before? My in laws have about 4 different versions of DirecTV boxes lying around and I'm curious how to go about doing it. I built an HTPC in a mini-box m350 and I love it, maybe I could build them one in a DTV box for about $150?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This actually makes me curious as to how they construct these things, what parts they use, etc.

I haven't seen this done personally, but surely it's been done at least once before? Really I just wonder what modding you'd have to do - they could have just a custom I/O and an awkward but standardized board, but they could also have totally wonky proprietary parts and a platform that isn't even x86. Probably depends more on how old it is than anything else.

Can you open some of those boxes up and share what's inside?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Good luck:

Zachary

Case Bender
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
Good luck:

Wow, yeah that looks like one of the boxes for sure.

This actually makes me curious as to how they construct these things, what parts they use, etc.

I haven't seen this done personally, but surely it's been done at least once before? Really I just wonder what modding you'd have to do - they could have just a custom I/O and an awkward but standardized board, but they could also have totally wonky proprietary parts and a platform that isn't even x86. Probably depends more on how old it is than anything else.

Can you open some of those boxes up and share what's inside?

The only thing i was hoping to reuse besides the case itself was the power supply. I'm just hoping to stick an AMD 5350 with an Asrock AM1B-ITX mobo in there with an SSD.

Are you thinking the I/O panel connectors wouldn't work with another mobo?

Here is a comparison of two of the models i have with the mini-box m350 (a case i'm familiar with for reference). It already looks like the case height of either of these two options might prevent me from using the stock AMD AM1 heatsink/fan combo.

[millimeters]

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Apart from one additional spot for a 2.5" drive, he wouldn't gain anything from that. 46mm could already be enough for a standard ITX board, but he wouldn't be able to use the I/O shield without cutting it slimmer.
62mm and 57mm are both absolutely fine. My case is supposed to be 59mm thick with 2mm thick side panels, so it has about the same room inside as the 57mm box.