Guide How I safely Noctuarized my GPU

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
The Gigabyte ITX 2060 is an overall fine card but I found it to be loud near 70% and above. So after a failed attempt where I tried to mount a Noctua fan with wires as seen in some video (they were always in the way of the fans and it was not as sturdy as I wanted), I got myself a replacement fan of the previous gen which I took apart for it's tri-wing mounting. Unfortunately while it looked exactly the same, it was a bit too small for the 2060 and it's inner surface was not flat - so I finally ended up ordering two 3d prints of the thing after doing some measurements. Never thought I end up investing this much effort into the topic, but I finally managed to do it.

ITX2060a

Part of the concept was to keep the shroud on, not do anything irreversible on the gpu's components and keep the original fan usable as a back-up. Print I received was a bit smaller, but not that much that I could not attach it to the shroud after carefully making the holes bigger with a small screwdriver.
Superglued it to the backside of a branchless cutout NF-A9x14 after peeling off the sticker for a better grip, then connected it to the gpu header with a PWN to VGA adapter from Phobya. Ended up routing the cable downwards as the heatpipes were in the way on the top - this made me use the extender too that came with the fan.

ITX2060b

It of course got more silent - which I hoped, but what I did not expect was that besides having the noctua fan, it's probably due to some better temps as well as the card became cooler with about 5-7 degrees depending on the game. And it surely looks a lot nicer, with the colors matching:)
The build's 3d printed components are now include a fan duct on the other side for the L9a, 8mm feet extenders and now this. I know my Dan A4 can accommodate full sized graphics cards, but I grew fond of this fella during the time it spent within my care, especially now that I did some modding on it. I'll probably give my abandoned custom aio project another go sometime in the future to give more meaning to this little gpu within this case.

I would also like to ask opinions from the good people of this forum regarding a question:
Roughly when is the time to change thermal paste on a gpu? I bought this brand new in august 2020, but the model is of course about 2 years old now and who knows how long it was sitting on the shelves. Thinking about using Carbonaut on it instead of paste though (and of course thermal pads on other areas of the board where it is required) so that despite the few degrees higher temps, it won't ever be needed to be taken apart even when I end up giving it to someone else one time.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I would also like to ask opinions from the good people of this forum regarding a question:
Roughly when is the time to change thermal paste on a gpu? I bought this brand new in august 2020,
Unlike a car which needs regular maintenance like oil change, no part of a display card is designed to required maintenance. Thermal paste applied by the manufacturer is meant to last the life of the card. To this regard, there is not really a time to change the thermal paste.
However, if you wish to further improve on the cooling (ie lower a few degrees) or acoustic (lower temp leading to lower fan rpm and thus lower noise level), you can change it any time you like. Some people even change it on day of purchase when the card is still brand new.
So, if you are happy with the temp and noise level, I say, just keep it as it is. Or else, do it.

Reactions: Kommando

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
Unlike a car which needs regular maintenance like oil change, no part of a display card is designed to required maintenance. Thermal paste applied by the manufacturer is meant to last the life of the card. To this regard, there is not really a time to change the thermal paste.
However, if you wish to further improve on the cooling (ie lower a few degrees) or acoustic (lower temp leading to lower fan rpm and thus lower noise level), you can change it any time you like. Some people even change it on day of purchase when the card is still brand new.
So, if you are happy with the temp and noise level, I say, just keep it as it is. Or else, do it.
That's comforting. Thank you.

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Why do you want to keep the shroud on? A nice NF-A12x25 would do real magic on that card. Does the heatsink not provide a flat and even surface?

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
Why do you want to keep the shroud on? A nice NF-A12x25 would do real magic on that card. Does the heatsink not provide a flat and even surface?
There is a flat part of the heatsink but it is not wide enough for a 120mm fan. Heatsink is higher towards the edges so I would not be able to attach it close enough to it. I know that the cpu gets warmer if a 120mm fan is used on an L9a due to the middle part being bigger. It would not be able to properly blow the air onto the chip underneath, which is now covered by it. So far, I only saw examples of this using a 92mm fan.
Simply deshrouding would've been much-much easier, I'm just not sure if it would be more beneficial. I heard that the temps will be slightly worse without the heatsink on this mini card for some reason. I wanted to keep the shroud on for aesthetics and mainly due to my concern that the uncovered heatsink might emit heat in all directions, possibly resulting in heating up other components and the fan to inhale the now warmer air nearby. Fabio recently did a shroudless fan swap with the same A9x14 on an itx gpu and mentioned that while it got more silent, temps maybe got higher with only like 3'C, so I guess it's not as bad as I thought. If I would went shroudless, I might've tried to see if a fan shroud would help to reach the side panels and inhale air from outside, like how it helped with the L9a.

do you have the files for the 3d printed piece? might try this myself
I went in personally to the office to order this and they promised to send me the file once they post the product. Which they still didn't - I sent them a reminder.

Keep in mind, that for my 2060, the print was just a tiny bit small (maybe I did not take the measurements right). It can still be worked with, but making the space between the 3 holes just 1/2 millimeter larger (and the holes 1/2 mm larger too) would've been the perfect fit. So I had to widen the holes a bit with the thin screwdriver used to apply it to the shroud. That made them *click* right on.
Also, plan the orientation of the cables in advance before superglueing. Maybe not snap that one branch off on the noctua fan which routes the cables to make things easier.

**************EDIT: here it is. Make it 1/2mm larger if you have the same card as mentioned and of course proceed with caution. Leave the cable holding branch of the fan long enough for it to safely route the cable away (that I did not do) from the fans and try reapplying the shroud to see if it fits. Even afterwards you can still mount it towards 3 directions of course, but better to plan ahead. I tried a couple of times before getting it right myself. Good luck and if you do manage to try it, post the result:)

Last edited:
Reactions: paullusty