How does everyone deal with storage?

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
how do you all deal with large storage?

nas? external bays?

i was planning to install 2 x 8tb drives in raid 1 into a ncase m1, but i'm considering going with 2 x 120mm radiators so that's out of the question.

i've had a synology ds218 2 bay external nas in the past, but downloading large files was a pain the butt. multiple files get downloaded into a zip file, etc etc. overall a very capable but such a pain in the butt to use nas.

Would love to know how everyone manages this

Reactions: confusis

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
There's not a one size fits all, but here's my setup to give you ideas.

I find a 1TB m.2 drive satisfies all my local needs. Allows for the most compact dev + gaming builds.

I also have a NAS (Ubuntu + ZFS) + server for big databases / cold storage to access when remote.

I'm not familiar with synology nor similar devices, but handling file downloads -- I would imagine -- should be seamless

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I use a NAS for storage, but I use a local copy of the files I'm working on if they are big. If you have the budget, there are 10Gbe capable NAS nowadays.

I also rely on Github to store my dev projects. It's very convenient.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I have a HTPC that does double duty as a "NAS"/storage server. It lives in a Fractal Node 202 and currently houses three spinning drives (two 4TB drives for various backups in a mirrored Storage Space + a 6TB media drive). As it's a do-it-all box it runs Windows 10 and I use bog-standard Windows file sharing and mapped network drives on the various computers in the household for access. Works very well (once I disabled passwords for file access that is), but I'm planning on spinning out the HTPC to a newer, smaller unit and installing either FreeNAS or Unraid on the old hardware while adding some more storage to it. We'll see when (if ever) I get around to doing the reinstall though, as that inevitably would lead to (unpopular) downtime of the media drive and the issue of migrating data from a Windows Storage Space into some sort of ZFS array, let alone figuring out if my cloud backup provider supports any of those OSes.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
My laptop only has 256GB of SSD storage. Current desktop only has 512GB on two regular SSD's. In the process of putting a new build together that will start with 2TB NVMe SSD, maybe add a second one later on. Currently I had a WD Black 6TB external HDD. It's nice, but I'd like to make a second/redundant back up to be extra safe, as well as maybe make a NAS so I don't have to unplug the drive from the computer, or laptop, to go to the other.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I have a rackmount NAS running on FreeNAS. I'll be building a second box later this year with better drive capacity.

1337harcha

Caliper Novice
Apr 9, 2019
Went for a compromise between price and capacity: 500GB 970evo (win+programs+folders) and 1TB 660p (games+video). In a perfect world would have gotten double the capacity. I also have a 3.5" slot for future provisions (IDK if I will go for a 4TB 3.5" drive or SSD + HDD 2.5" combo).

nycalex

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
i ended up installing the 2 8tb drives in raid 1 inside the ncase:

but the drives are running at around 50-55 degrees, which i'm not too comfortable. Need to optimize airflow further.

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Feb 8, 2016
havent heard anyone mention portable SSDs like Samsung T5 - very fast (USB 3.1 gen2) and you can fit a bunch of 1-2tb drives in your bag. Various options for drive encryption too, depending on what platforms you use.

for the rest of the big stuff, NAS - with VPN access for when im traveling