High Airflow Left Side Panel.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
After doing some messing about with my case and system, I’m wondering if Ncase would be able to offer a replacement panel for the left side (GPU side)with holes all the way down to the base.

Anyone else interested in it?

Reactions: Jbtamu1011

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
For that matter, how about additional holes on the right side (back side of mainboard) for the GPU area?

Reactions: Jbtamu1011

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So this is something that has been brought up in the past, and the main reason I haven't wanted to pursue it is that punching more holes increases the likelihood of warping the panels, as well as making them less rigid. I see the value in additional ventilation in that area for open air GPU coolers, but I'm always a little wary of introducing potential manufacturing issues. That, and I don't think w360 wants more SKUs for low margin parts like side panel. So if it were going to be a thing, it would probably be something incorporated into the base M1, rather than an option.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I can understand the worry about warping. What about doing a crowd funding campaign to see if you have buyers? That way you're guaranteed a certain number of orders.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So this is something that has been brought up in the past, and the main reason I haven't wanted to pursue it is that punching more holes increases the likelihood of warping the panels, as well as making them less rigid. I see the value in additional ventilation in that area for open air GPU coolers, but I'm always a little wary of introducing potential manufacturing issues. That, and I don't think w360 wants more SKUs for low margin parts like side panel. So if it were going to be a thing, it would probably be something incorporated into the base M1, rather than an option.

Laser cutting wouldn't warp it....

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I can understand the worry about warping. What about doing a crowd funding campaign to see if you have buyers? That way you're guaranteed a certain number of orders.
Crowdfunding a side panel seems like a stretch. I can see it: "Now, with 50% more holes!" Can't really see it attracting a lot of attention -- particularly considering more people are opting for the windowed side panel in lieu of any ventilation.

Laser cutting wouldn't warp it....
But would be prohibitively expensive. Don't think people are going to be into paying a few hundred bucks for a single panel.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Crowdfunding a side panel seems like a stretch. I can see it: "Now, with 50% more holes!" Can't really see it attracting a lot of attention -- particularly considering more people are opting for the windowed side panel in lieu of any ventilation.

But would be prohibitively expensive. Don't think people are going to be into paying a few hundred bucks for a single panel.

A few hundred bucks? I would estimate 40ish dollars a panel.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
A few hundred bucks? I would estimate 40ish dollars a panel.
Admittedly I've never looked into the costs of laser cutting very deeply; I could be way off. I just know the constant stopping and starting it takes to cut a couple thousand holes takes a while, and time = money on these machines.

Out of curiosity, how'd you come up with your estimate? I've got about 2,400 holes per side panel, 3mm diameter each. Figure the final sales price will be 150-200% of cost after factoring in shipping+overhead+profit.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Admittedly I've never looked into the costs of laser cutting very deeply; I could be way off. I just know the constant stopping and starting it takes to cut a couple thousand holes takes a while, and time = money on these machines.

Out of curiosity, how'd you come up with your estimate? I've got about 2,400 holes per side panel, 3mm diameter each. Figure the final sales price will be 150-200% of cost after factoring in shipping+overhead+profit.

I guessed based off what protocase has quoted for a similar sized sheet. I never factored in shipping, etc.... That would mean 200$ a panel minimum..... Maybe make a cad file and let people one off it.