GPU Galax 1070 Mini!

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
It came in today!

My hardware is in such a janky configuration I'm not even sure how to add this to any of my systems... but I'm excited!

Any tests or information you'd like me to get from the card once it's installed?

Reactions: Ceros_X

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017

My lunch break is almost over, but the card fits with PLENTY of room to spare in the S4 mini.

It fits well enough in the Logic Supply MC600, but the included 60mm fan interferes with it, if you remove that fan it'll fit just fine. Not much clearance between it and the front panel, though.

Time to swallow an apple whole or something. Haha

Reactions: CubanLegend

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
So regarding EU supply for this; its on sale in France and Germany, but not in the UK. The only KFA2 stockist is Overclockers and they said they may or may not stock this in the future but no current plans to.

Question for you ZOVC - do the fans stop completely at low load?

Reactions: bledha

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I woke up early so I'm about to throw it on my new test bench. I've definitely got enough time before work to find out if the fans stop or not.

The good news is I remember @CubanLegend saying you can--in theory--flash you card's BIOS with another card's BIOS that does stop at low load/temps. I don't know the details so I'll have to dig that post up if he doesn't help out.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Okay! I hooked everything up on my test bench (which took a lot longer than I thought, I had to fight my components out of a mini-box M350) and got everything fired up. The Galax card was not spinning up at all once I booted into Windows 10, but after Windows found the drivers for the card, the fans picked up. So, if you want no-fan operation at idle or whatever, you might need to tune settings or tweak firmware. I have a server right next to me--so take this with a grain of salt--but I can't hear the Galax's fans without putting my ear next to the card.

Reactions: bledha

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I woke up early so I'm about to throw it on my new test bench. I've definitely got enough time before work to find out if the fans stop or not.

The good news is I remember @CubanLegend saying you can--in theory--flash you card's BIOS with another card's BIOS that does stop at low load/temps. I don't know the details so I'll have to dig that post up if he doesn't help out.
Yeah it's theoretically possible and I think people did it back in the 970 days so 1070's should work the same.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I installed MSI Afterburner and it is able to control the card's fan speeds, I haven't played with anything else.

That said, the minimum for the fans is 30% even if I manually set a profile to go to 0%. The maximum is naturally 100%, at which point the card sounds like a jet engine.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Some feedback:

I just ran the card on my test bench for a little bit of gameplay in Just Cause 3, I'm pretty sure it's the most demanding game I own. I'm also installing Paragon because a friend wanted to play that.

Just Cause 3 ran at about 55C with its settings maxed out in 1080p. This was through the pre-rendered opening cinematics (~44C, idle temps), the in-game intro cutscene, the flight where turrets are gunning for your plane and there are dogfights about, and up to where you rescue your friend Mario. I went into Nvidia's Control Panel and forced my monitor to display at 1440p @ 120Hz and played Just Cause 3 at that resolution. Unfortunately, I couldn't get MSI Afterburner to show in-game with its overlay (I think I'm doing something wrong), but the game ran smoothly (no noticeable frame skipping or sluggishness) in spite of how much I dislike the keyboard and mouse controls. It looks incredible at 1440p on my 24" monitor, the only things that didn't look great was one fenced-off railing on a balcony that was positioned in the shadow of a building that was backlit by the sun and an industrial light that was creating some strange sparkles around itself. The sparkles I noticed at 1080p and they were not as bad in 1440p. The card never went over 72C, and it spent most of its game-time at 70C on my open-air test bench.

...at 1440p the fans ramped up to 33% (from the idle/1080p gaming 30%) and I would consider it unnoticeable. I played with no audio and I wouldn't notice the fans unless I was listening for them. I could 'hear' them, but it was a very white noise, to me it is an inoffensive pitch and a low volume, about as distracting as my ceiling fan which I never notice until I thought about it just now.

I checked my system power consumption at my Kill-a-Wat while playing at 1440p but forgot to record it. I know for sure it was under 170W, and that's including my undervolted/underclocked i7-4790K (I tried to keep it running below the 65W rating of my NH-L9i).

For whatever its worth, my CPU stayed between 56C and 61C while gaming.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I played with the manual tuning of the fan just now to give my thoughts on the fan speeds. Overall, I'm really impressed with how much air this thing moves, at 90% I held my hand more than a foot away from the card (~18") and was feeling a substantial amount of airflow.

• 30-45% - Air moving is audible, there's no real 'voice' or 'pitch' to the fan's noise.
  • 50% - Very low fan 'whine' starting, it's quieter than the air the fan is moving, but has its own pitch.
  • 60% - The volume of air moving is increasing, the 'whine' hasn't changed much.
  • 65% - The whine and air are both at what I would consider noticeable levels.
  • 70% - Whine is louder than the noise of air moving, not unpleasant.
  • 75% - Air moving is again louder than the whine.
  • 80% - Whine is approaching shrill pitches. Still 'not bad.'
  • 85% - Whine slightly worse.
  • 90% - I considered the noise unpleasant at this point and stopped raising the speeds.
This was all on open air and was tuned using MSI Afterburner.