Fractal Design is no stranger to the small form factor community. The Ridge and Node lines have been solid options for those looking for a simple entry point into SFF  for years. The Node 202 was one of the better options for console style cases, and I’ve built several myself. However, Fractal Design met some push-back when the original Era ITX launched. It was a striking design, but had difficulty cooling components to a point of limiting hardware options rather severely. Fractal Design is looking to rectify this with the Era 2 which features enhanced airflow and cooling, as well as updated aesthetics.

Continue reading...

Reactions: BaK

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Other than a questionable PSU mounting setup with the bottom fans looks like a pretty solid case and a big improvement over the Era 1.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

Other than a questionable PSU mounting setup with the bottom fans looks like a pretty solid case and a big improvement over the Era 1.

I actually agree with Fractal on the PSU mounting setup. If reversed to normal sandwich style, the AIO will be directly above the exhaust of the PSU and a SFX PSU gets cranking it gets very, very hot (I know you know that but some don't so I'm adding it in anyway :)). I recorded exhaust temps of the Dagger 850 at 60.1C, and have seen PSU exhaust cook the radiators in some of my builds. I'd rather have it facing downward then causing an radiator hotspot.

I'm glad to see Steve and GN acknowledge that SFF isn't about maximum performance in cooling.

Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I actually agree with Fractal on the PSU mounting setup. If reversed to normal sandwich style, the AIO will be directly above the exhaust of the PSU and a SFX PSU gets cranking it gets very, very hot (I know you know that but some don't so I'm adding it in anyway :)). I recorded exhaust temps of the Dagger 850 at 60.1C, and have seen PSU exhaust cook the radiators in some of my builds. I'd rather have it facing downward then causing an radiator hotspot.

I'm glad to see Steve and GN acknowledge that SFF isn't about maximum performance in cooling.
If you watch this review that Machines and More did he reversed the fan setup from what Fractal wanted with top intake and bottom exhaust and got much better CPU temps and only slightly higher GPU temps and this will also give your PSU exhaust out of the bottom. I can believe what you say about the PSU exhausting into the radiator not being optimal.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
If you watch this review that Machines and More did he reversed the fan setup from what Fractal wanted with top intake and bottom exhaust and got much better CPU temps and only slightly higher GPU temps and this will also give your PSU exhaust out of the bottom. I can believe what you say about the PSU exhausting into the radiator not being optimal.

I’ve see that technique work in a couple of cases now. I think most manufacturers don’t go with it because it cooks the laminate that’s on most desks. Makes sense though. I’ll toss that on my test list.

Reactions: rfarmer