Power Supply FlexATX PSUs???

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
There are tons of threads about Flex ATX on these forums and you may want to try using the search function in the top right hand corner of your screen. Short version is that Flex ATX, while compact, has serious issues with noise due to the 40mm fans they employ.

Reactions: Phuncz

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
There are threads literally discussing the benefits and disadvantages of this specific model of PSU in the forum, threads that are active right now. If you have questions or concerns about it then your far more likely to get a response by raising them in that thread. Also, it wont fit in an elementQ, if thats a thing you care about.

Reactions: Phuncz

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@jØrd Pretty sure a simple SFX to Flex ATX adapter plate would make it fit in the elementQ?

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
i just got a geeek flex atx psu. I haven't actually used it yet but its modular and GEEEK offers a 2 year warranty. http://www.geeekstore.com/shop/custom-flex-atx-modular-psu/

they also offer customization of your cables and the color. the cables are also slimmer for a smaller case.

Nice! Did you get the 400w or 600w one?
Also, can you let us know about the quality and loudness, when you have some time?
I got an ENP7660 to test, but not the customized one, the original from Enhance. Would like to know if Geeek really improved it.

Cheers

kaffi

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
Nice! Did you get the 400w or 600w one?
Also, can you let us know about the quality and loudness, when you have some time?
I got an ENP7660 to test, but not the customized one, the original from Enhance. Would like to know if Geeek really improved it.

Cheers
I got the 400w but that's cause i have a 1030 don't plan on getting a higher end gpu than a 1060 in the future. Also seems like gpus are becoming more and more efficient.

im making a custom case so i won't be able to test it out for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernardoZ

kaffi

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
So finally got to use the 400w psu and holy shit its pretty loud. Not a jet engine (not as bad as the 290) but it was definitely audible from anywhere in the the room, which is jarring when for the last 2 years I haven't really had to deal with that. I don't know what I could do to quiet it, maybe use a funnel and a larger fan? Maybe see if i can get my money back, but unless i use headphones its pretty audible.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
So finally got to use the 400w psu and holy shit its pretty loud. Not a jet engine (not as bad as the 290) but it was definitely audible from anywhere in the the room, which is jarring when for the last 2 years I haven't really had to deal with that. I don't know what I could do to quiet it, maybe use a funnel and a larger fan? Maybe see if i can get my money back, but unless i use headphones its pretty audible.

Sorry about that. Tbh, I was expecting it already, Delta's Flex-ATX psus are really loud at stock. I think Enhance 7600 series are the only ones with high wattage and acceptable noise right now, unfortunately. I wonder why Geeek got it out from their list, maybe it sold out...

kaffi

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
Sorry about that. Tbh, I was expecting it already, Delta's Flex-ATX psus are really loud at stock. I think Enhance 7600 series are the only ones with high wattage and acceptable noise right now, unfortunately. I wonder why Geeek got it out from their list, maybe it sold out...
do you know any small fans i could get for a flex atx psu thats really quiet? I think they changed the fan and its better than pre built computers but it definitely is audible.

ps. your case looks amazing.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
A Black Noise Noiseblocker or Noctua fan are probably your best bet. Do some googling, you might come across a comparison/test.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
do you know any small fans i could get for a flex atx psu thats really quiet? I think they changed the fan and its better than pre built computers but it definitely is audible.

As always its worth noting that changing the fan in a PSU isnt w/out risk, especially in something dense like a flexATX PSU. Whilst many people have done it & been fine YMMV. The fans they come w/ are generally high CFM units where as the Noctua's and Noise Blockers and the like tend to move only a fraction as much air. Depending on your workloads this may or may not be an issue for you.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Some PSUs also require pressure-focused fans that need to force air through dense structures and components. I replaced a noisy (probably defective) fan on an ST450SF-G (with the only option, the Noiseblocker 80x10mm) and it resulted in crashing when heavily loaded with around 400W load.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
@kaffi Thanks man :)

I would say what people already pointed.

BUT, if you really want to change the fan, here is what I recommend: send an email to Delta, and ask what is the fan CFM required for your unit, at the power load of your system. They usually have this kind of info, and it will help you find a similar spec fan to replace. If you are not carefull enough, your psu may get too hot and die because of this. Good luck XD

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
I've been running an FSP400-60FGGBA for over 18 months with its 40mm removed entirely, with a 92mm fan blowing in front in its place, controlled by the PSU. The temperature with the 92mm fan is actually slightly better than it was with the stock fan, when probing the heatsink in the center of the unit. The Enhance units have exhausts rather than intakes, but its probably still viable to ditch the housing altogether. The other issue with 40mm fans is that even if they are low in decibels, their pitch is high and annoying. That said, there's a lot of potential for interesting designs using Flex ATX.

The Geeek 600W doesn't seem to be listed anymore, and the unmodded Enhance is also nowhere to be found.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
I've been running an FSP400-60FGGBA for over 18 months with its 40mm removed entirely, with a 92mm fan blowing in front in its place, controlled by the PSU. The temperature with the 92mm fan is actually slightly better than it was with the stock fan, when probing the heatsink in the center of the unit. The Enhance units have exhausts rather than intakes, but its probably still viable to ditch the housing altogether. The other issue with 40mm fans is that even if they are low in decibels, their pitch is high and annoying. That said, there's a lot of potential for interesting designs using Flex ATX.

The Geeek 600W doesn't seem to be listed anymore, and the unmodded Enhance is also nowhere to be found.
Seems an interesing mod, can you show us some pics?

Yea, it's strange that Geeek unlisted the 600w unit. Enhance 7600 series are the best Flex psus on the market right now, and are also very quiet without any mods. Unfortunately, they only sell it to big orders, or if you contact them directly (I actually have one ENP-7660 stock unit) XD

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
Seems an interesing mod, can you show us some pics?

Yea, it's strange that Geeek unlisted the 600w unit. Enhance 7600 series are the best Flex psus on the market right now, and are also very quiet without any mods. Unfortunately, they only sell it to big orders, or if you contact them directly (I actually have one ENP-7660 stock unit) XD
It's not too interesting, heh. The stock fan is removed, and a 92mm sits behind it:

It does work well, though. The maximum load that I've managed to place on it measured from the wall was about 320W. The PSU reached around 90C IIRC, 2-3 degrees less than with its stock fan.

This is my earlier thread on the build. Nowhere near the sophistication of your cases. :D I do hope to eventually pack something more powerful into this size.

Perhaps Geeek is awaiting another bulk order...