FCase "Chameleon" <9L

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I converted my FreeCAD files to .step and included notes for the hole sizes and which ones were to be counter sunk. I even reinforced those instructions in person, because the fabricators I am using are close to me in my attempts to avoid these problems. This choice was just the wrong choice.

Oh, that's not the ideal way of doing things at all.

What you should do with manufacturers is give them a pdf they can print out which contains all necessary information, a technical drawing or engineering drawing. You should be able to generate those documents with FreeCAD itself or a suitable plugin. The good thing about them is that they are considered part of the contract, so they are legally binding. You can specify tolerances, control measurements, the exact material and every other kind of detail you want, and if the manufacturer doesn't produce the part to your specifications, you can demand a refund, discount, or re-production of the part. step files are not really suitable for anything but 3D-printed parts.

Another document you should include is a dxf, which can be fed into a laser-cutter or punch-press directly, so the factory worker needs less time to set the machine up, which can reduce the cost.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
step files are not really suitable for anything but 3D-printed parts.

I think that depends on the manufacturer. The ones I've worked with prefer a 3D CAD model so they can process it through their own software and after they've made the necessary changes for their production tooling they provide a 3D drawing for approval.

Drawings are good though so @FCase, if you can provide them that'd be great. But if not, at the very least be sure to have the manufacturer give you drawings (whether it's PDF, or SolidWorks eDrawings or whatever CAD they use) to approve to make sure they're interpreting the STEP file correctly.

Another document you should include is a dxf, which can be fed into a laser-cutter or punch-press directly, so the factory worker needs less time to set the machine up, which can reduce the cost.

For flat parts like acrylic that's a good idea, but I'd hesitate to do that with formed sheet metal parts. Each shop has different press brake tooling and their own preferences for bend allowance and such so I think it's better to let them figure it out.

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
After talking to them, .step files were what was requested from both fabs. The second is proving better in communicating with me to find out what I want based on what I submitted. The first fab asked questions about my files and instructions but then just did not follow them. Time will tell with the second fab, but so far they are head and shoulders above the first fab.

Mal

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
For flat parts like acrylic that's a good idea, but I'd hesitate to do that with formed sheet metal parts. Each shop has different press brake tooling and their own preferences for bend allowance and such so I think it's better to let them figure it out.

I just asked my manufacturer what their metrics were to make sure they could use that dxf, but sure, that's not necessarily the easiest way to do things.

Reactions: jeshikat

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
Hello again SFF,

While I was waiting for the new prototype, I went and permanently bonded the wood shell of Chameleon.

Turns out I had plenty of time too. Long story short, I ended up going with a fifth fabricator. The results appear well worth it though. This shop had a punch machine so no warpage cutting all the holes. And they were PEMSERT capable so all the required threaded holes are correct.

I purposely did not color the case to check all the fitment before I added the finish. Needless to say I am quite pleased.

There are still a couple more adjustments to make for final assembly. I am also waiting for a part quote that adds to the detailing of the case. The next update will highlight that feature.
Until then,

FCase

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
5th time's the charm? That's a bummer you've had to go through so many shops to find a good one though.
I'd recommend rounding off the corners of the PCI flange for safety.

After the first one was so bad, I was a little gun shy. Wanted to make sure things were different this time around. Rounding the corners is a good idea. I will make sure it happens on the final iteration.

FCase

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
Spent Saturday going all "Inspector 12" on the Chameleon. Everything fits quite well. I'll let the pics speak for themselves:

Wierd to describe a SFF case as spacious. It should swallow a 45mm radiator easily. Not much in the way of "available" cable management.

The last pic I tried to capture the available cooler height but failed misserably. Since I'm good at measuring, let's review the math instead:
  • Width of case is 175mm (internally)
  • Subtract 14mm for space behind MB for OD + 2mm for MB Tray metal thickness = 159mm
  • Subtract 63.5mm for Height of PSU + 1mm for distance of PSU from edge of case = 94.5mm
  • Subtract 8mm for standoffs + 10mm for distance from MB to top of CPU and you get:
76.5mm max cooler height. Plenty of room for a Thermaltake Engine. A tight squeeze for my planned Eisbaer Solo.
So the major construction of Chameleon is done. I've reached the end of the road for my old equipment. To do now is the finishing on the shell, all the little details to prepare for possible production, and get new equipment for a proper build. I've had my eye on an ASUS ROG B150I Pro, an Intel I3-6100, and Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB memory. But I may wait until ZEN drops and do an all AMD build. (May do BOTH). Either way I will replace my GTX 750 with an RX 480 and Alphacool waterblock.
Getting closer, but still a ways to go.

FCase

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
What RX480 are you going to put in there? IIRC even the shortest one (XFX Single Fan) is more than 200mm long.

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
All the "Ref" 480 cards will fit if you take the fan off and replace it with a water block. The internal depth is 192mm.

FCase

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Looks very nice, wish I was half as skilled constructing computer plans!

Who was the 5th fabricator if you don't mind asking? If I (and others) can avoid disreputable fabricators and get a known good that'd be a good resource. Also can you share some specifics about what your case cost?

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
Looks very nice, wish I was half as skilled constructing computer plans!

Who was the 5th fabricator if you don't mind asking? If I (and others) can avoid disreputable fabricators and get a known good that'd be a good resource. Also can you share some specifics about what your case cost?

Sorry for the delay in answering this @Ceros_X. I was trying to nail down the feet for this case. It is hard to get work contracted during the holidays. But now that I have them in the works, I feel more comfortable revealing more details about the "Chameleon".

The first shop was a laser cutting fab shop here in the Las Vegas area. When I look back at my experience with them I feel they just did not take my small project seriously (even though they stated on their site small runs accepted). As a result they pushed my project back in exchange for larger more profitable jobs without telling me, then just misinformed me about the status of my project until my dissatisfaction became evident. Needless to say they rushed the job then gave it to me for free to get me out of their hair.

While all that was happening, I had the wood shell being CNC'd at SRS Fabrication. If you contact them tell Brandon, Malcolm sent you. He was great to work with. He told me exactly how much it will cost and when it would be done. And when the job was delayed due to a required tool he had to ordewr, he called me to let me know how much more time was required and then delivered at that time. I was so impressed I asked him to fabricate Chameleon's frame. He looked at it but declined due to a big contract request at the sme time as my request. Very professional and I appreciated the courtesy.

So I spoke to the shop he referred me to, but file format incompatabilities and delays communicating those hurdles had me feeling dejavu from the first shop. So I moved to another shop I had previously scouted before I chose the first shop. "Vegas Laser and Waterjet"

Vegas Laser was also very professional. They referred me to my current fabricator "Durango Sheetmetal" because they did not have a CNC Punch machine, but knew Durango did. Much respect to Vegas Laser. You may have noticed I did not mention the names of the bad shops. If you start with these, there is no need to contact the others. If you contact Durango Sheetmetal in Las Vegas ask for Robert and tell him Malcolm sent you.

Costs to date are as follows:
$300 parts and labor for the frame from Durango Sheetmetal
$100 parts and labor to CNC 1/2" wood shell from SRS Fabrication
$200 parts and labor to machine and polish the aluminum feet (in progress)
$100 misc parts (fan,filter, vandal switch, screws, wood stain, laquer, etc) to finish the prototype
$700 Total
Unique PC case - Priceless
TBD powdercoat or anodizing costs

These costs could be reduced somewhat if I did the labor myself. Only problem is I would then have to factor in the cost of the machineary and tools required. If I did not learn anything else, I learned manufacturing is not cheap (especially in the US).

Hope this helps,

FCase

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Thank you for your candor! I appreciate the details and the referrals - while I am very unlikely to make my own case, I am close to Vegas (well, as close as three hours lol) so it is very useful to know how close a good shop is in the event I ever need a top plate machined for my current brief case build. Thanks!