Experiment! 100% Passive build w/ Ryzen 2400G & ASRock Fatal1ty mITX

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 3, 2017
Ever since I built my first SFF almost 12 years ago ~mid 2006 my long term goal has been building a fully passive one.

At first, my interim goal has been a single fan systeem, at the lowest fanspeed possible. This was already considerably quieter than the regular tower I used until then.

Then, when SSD's became affordable I replaced my 3.5" HDD for a duo of 2.5" SSD's about three years ago. That made the system significantly more quiet.

Now, with the advent of the AMD 2400G I want to try my luck building a fully passive system. For that, I'll need to bring down the power usage significantly from the cTDP of 46W. My estimate is I need to roughly half the power usage. For that I have a few options to my disposal:
1. disabling one core
2. disabling SMT
3. disabling turbo
4. downclocking from 3.6 to ~3.3GHz
5. undervolting

Since I'm not a gamer the thermal headroom will not be used by the GPU either.

At this point, I'm still waiting for my RAM to arrive, but next week I'll probably be able to install the mainboard into its case.

The 2400G installed on the Asrock Fatal1ty AB350, with the Zalman CNPS8900 (fan removed):

This is the SFF where it will go into next week: Nexus Psile

Let's see how I will fare in my quest :-)

Last edited:

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Wow, a Nexus Psile! I didn't remember thos holes on top panel.
I'm looking for a new fully fanless setup for my daily use pc.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
what's your max cpu cooler height supported by the case? there are fanless cpu coolers quite short and capable of cooling 65w cpu.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
what's your max cpu cooler height supported by the case? there are fanless cpu coolers quite short and capable of cooling 65w cpu.
I was just googling around for these today, so if you have any recommendations, please do share.