SFF.Network EVGA's Z270 Stinger motherboard launched

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Some of EVGA’s marketing material says the USB 3.1 is running of the Z270 PCH which is incorrect, the Intel 200-series chipsets do not support USB 3.1.
Z2xx (and Z1xx) does have native USB 3.1 support: USB 3.1 Gen 1, AKA USB 3.0. So EVGA could be technically correct in ambiguously calling it USB 3.1 (implying Gen 2) while the ports themselves only operate at USB 3.1 Gen 1 speeds.
However, the rear I/O shield is slapped with the USB SS10 logo next to the Type C & A port stack, so it will indeed have an extra controller hanging out under one of the heatsinks.

FFS USB-IF, that renaming scheme was moronic.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I thought about that, but they clearly label the other ports as "USB 3.0" and I don't think EVGA is that scummy.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Very limited availability for drives that support it, plus the clunky, oversized connector.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I understand the inclusion - provide a bit of versatility over 2x M.2. Realistically though, the implementation of the connector/cable just doesn't suit SFF ITX rigs at all... M.2 drives are a much cleaner solution.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
In my opinion it would be an excellent connector alongside M.2 if:
a. there were more products than one Intel SSD
b. the power would be included through the motherboard connector

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Supposedly the Intel Optane drives will initially be available in U.2 form factor only. However they have been delayed, so who knows now...

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I haven't really followed anything for months - have been too busy. I was under the impression the benefit of Optane was DIMM implementation, so I was fairly surprised when I saw it was being introduced on Kaby Lake via M.2 certified slots. When I saw a picture of the Asus Z270 Apex I assumed that DIMM slot was for Optane, but upon reading it was a proprietary solution to use a riser card for 2x M.2 XD

U.2 implementation would be curious.

Edit - typos

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
The density of Optane isn't super high right now. I think they are getting up to 32GB on a 2242 M.2 card at the moment in the Lenovo Thinkpads. U.2 would allow for many chips to be populated in the space of a 2.5" drive form factor, although it would be $$$$.