Power Supply Dual system build, PSU advice needed please

quivol

What's an ITX?
Original poster
May 2, 2018
Hi SFFers!

TL;DR: Does anyone know what happens to a motherboard when there's power going to it (by manually grounding pin 16) but it hasn't been switched on?

I'm building a dual system (Linux+Windows) setup inside a custom case.

Linux side:
ASRock Z370 ITX
i5-8400

Windows side:
Asus Strix Z270i
i7-7700k
GTX 1060 6GB
SATA SSD

I've got a Corsair SF600 to power both systems, and grabbed a Phanteks power splitter box. The Phanteks splitter is unfortunately too bulky, and I'm having trouble fitting it in... so now I'm looking at alternative ways to run two systems off one PSU.

I've got a bunch of stuff ordered from modDIY to make my own power cables, so I was think I'd just use that gear and make my own splitter cables from the PSU directly to both motherboards and then completely omit the Phantek PSU splitter unit which saves a heap of space.

The complication of course is that PSUs are switched on by the mobo. So I guess one motherboard (probably Linux) would be the primary system which switches the PSU, and the other mobo (Windows) would be secondary and can only run when the primary system is going.

I intend on having both systems running simultaneously 99% of the time, so the secondary motherboard always being live because the primary is running shouldn't be an issue right?
I do wonder how the secondary motherboard will handle being powered, but not switched on?
And if I soft-restart or hard-reboot the primary motherboard, what happens to the secondary motherboard if it's running?

Is there any other options that are more elegant?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: