Domain name choice

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
This might not be any easy fix, but now that the forum is still small a possibility.
Why did you choose for sffforum.net instead of sff-forum.net? The 3 f's are a little strange to type and makes the name a bit vague the first time you read it.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I was originally considering smallformfactorforum.com but PlayfulPhoenix insisted that was awkwardly long so I went with the current domain.

But I've been debating that decision, the f's sometimes run together for me too.

I've registered sff-forum so some squatter wouldn't snatch it up. So I could switch the site over, just a matter of switching the DNS records around.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
True, once it's bookmarked, in history, or whatever it's not a big deal.

But now would be the time to change it while there isn't any SEO/links to mess up.

Matthew

Cable Smoosher
Feb 28, 2015
The hyphen definitely makes it easier to read... for example every time I see tomshardware.com I can't help but read Tom Shardware...
Doesn't really affect me because I just have a bookmark for this forum ;)

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
Although I too have browsers which auto-complete for me, I think that the hyphen would be a good addition. It looks better :D

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Although I generally detest hyphens in URL stings, sff-forum.net is clearer when read (especially out of context) than sffforum.net, so I'd advocate for switching.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Alright then, it seems everyone is either in favor of switching or neutral. I'll plan on switching the domain tomorrow night.

The switch itself will only take a few minutes but the DNS record propagation could take 1-3 hours so the site may be inaccessible during that time.

Reactions: Matthew

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't think that'll work, it's shared hosting so I'm pretty sure the server doesn't have a static IP.

What you can do instead is bookmark smallformfactorforum.net because I'll update that several hours ahead of time so it'll be pointing to the right place when I switch. At least in theory, first time I've switched domains on a live site.

fusionxr

Cable Smoosher
Mar 4, 2015
So this is where you guys hang out now eh?
I also found the domain a bit strange, the dash might help. Either way, forum looks good, excellent work Aiboh!