Memory Does ram frequency depend on the amount you have?

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Kind of a embarrsssing question.I was thinking on a amd 1950x workstation with 128gb ram.(not ecc).Im aware that ram speed helps a lot with ryzen cpus and i see many tests with people running at 3/3,2/3,6 mhz, but those are 32/64 gb kits.I have a feeling that the more ram you have,the more you have to limit that ram speed for stability.
Is that true?
If it is,for a stable,long therm workstation work with 128gb,what speed can/shood i choose? (2666,2800mhz ?)
No cpu or gpu overclocked.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Running 8 sticks of 16GB RAM isn't quite normal and you might have issues with some combinations of RAM and board (look here, read until the end of the entire topic). Be sure to read the memory QVL (Qualified Vendors List) to see which memory configuration is tested as working. With this amount of ranks and banks, you shouldn't expect any higher than DDR4-2666 is what I'm seeing.

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Running 8 sticks of 16GB RAM isn't quite normal and you might have issues with some combinations of RAM and board (look here, read until the end of the entire topic). Be sure to read the memory QVL (Qualified Vendors List) to see which memory configuration is tested as working. With this amount of ranks and banks, you shouldn't expect any higher than DDR4-2666 is what I'm seeing.

Thank you for the info.So it looks like,the more you have,the lower you have to go with the speed.So a realistic thing with 128gb shoud be not higher that ddr 2666 speed if i unerstood right.(and to be quad channel one)
Im right now looking at asrocks page as my target.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399 Taichi/index.asp#Memory

Any particualr kit or shoud i be looking at the latency?

Thanks ;)