confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
So, with my cheap (seriously) purchase recently, I thought it was time to move to double digit logical cores again, it's been a few years (last one was a quad socket opteron board with quad core CPUs).

So without further ado;

Unknown M-ATX X79 2011 Motherboard
Intel SandyBridge-EP Xeon E5-2640 - 6 core, 12 Thread @ 2.5GHz (turbo 3GHz)
2x 8GB G-Skill Ares DDR3-1600
OCZ Trion 100 240GB
Gigabyte GTX750 TI LP 2GB OC
In-Win BL-641 Chassis at 11.5 Litres

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I'm first. Is that a thing on here? ;) Hey, didn't you say there is no SFFF branded stuff... huh... huh... I see that cooler. :(

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
How loud is that heatsink? o_O

With a Noctua fan resistor, its actually not bad at all!

Cool, gonna buy lots of Noctua fan resistors to quiet down the resonance in what heatsinks I can find with loud resonance XD

Also, getting chills looking at the power potential and sleeper status you can get with that case as well as seeing that damm sexy VRM heatsink!
And you know, the pictures look good @confusis ! :D

Reactions: ricochet

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Hmmmm. The Nocuta (or any other brand or DIY) fan resistors are intended just to reduce the speed (or rather, scale the speed range) of voltage-controlled fans, and reduce the sped of PWM fans.
But I wonder if sticking a resistor in there has another effect. The power controller on the motherboard dedicated to fan control is probably not all that sophisticated, and neither is the BLDC controller in most fans themselves. If either of these are shooting transient signals at each other, those could end up bouncing about between the two. If those transients are resonating in the audible range, you could get weird 'fan noise' that is actually modulation of the fan motor itself rather than noise from the fans normal operation. Sticking a resistor in there is going to change the time-constant of that system, which could move any transients out of (or into) the audible range.
Man, that would be a pain to test though. You couldn't just put a fan on a bench supply, you'd need a bunch of motherboards to test with just to find if there is an issue in the first place. And because the resistor is also reducing fan speed, you couldn't rule out that the fan was perceptually sounding better just because it was running slower. Maybe the best way to test would be for someone who is already getting annoying fan noise, and stick a smoothing capacitor across the 12V & GND lines. That would have a similar effect as a resistor without changing fan speed.

::EDIT:: Or maybe I've spent so much time hunting bizarre gremlins in systems that I see them lurking in normal responses.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
If the resistor is adding weird resonates or other quirks, the sound profile is still significantly better than the full speed whine that the fan can achieve :D