Do you guys think the hades canyon NUC is a step up, or more of the same?

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
I think I may be missing understanding your book concept as I'm not sure how it would affect mobility and I'm not sure what you mean by burying the heat sink and n the pages, sorry :(

I would not recommend covering the heat sink in anything as passive designs need space around them in order for convection currents to form n carry heat away. My suggestion in more to use the cover as a heat sink will the fancy sticky out bits helping increase the area but I doubt it would be enough

chara

Efficiency Noob
Mar 22, 2018
I think I may be missing understanding your book concept as I'm not sure how it would affect mobility and I'm not sure what you mean by burying the heat sink and n the pages, sorry :(

I would not recommend covering the heat sink in anything as passive designs need space around them in order for convection currents to form n carry heat away. My suggestion in more to use the cover as a heat sink will the fancy sticky out bits helping increase the area but I doubt it would be enough
if your suggestion is to stick a heat sink on the outside of the book that would be well outside of design perimeters. as for inside the pages. the access point of the heat sink are available top and bottom, so one could be placed beneath the cover and allow air flow from bottom to top. however, this is far from ideal as the heat sink will add significant weight and space to the form factor of the case for far less gain than the discreet close-able fan ports I can simply add to the design. I mainly considered the heat sink design because I wasn't sure if I needed fans at all

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
I'm suggesting to make the cover the heat sink, rather than putting a heat sink on the cover.
I think I may be misunderstanding your design though, think it might be difficult to describe in text, got any pictures of designs?

chara

Efficiency Noob
Mar 22, 2018
I dont think there is much misunderstanding, as you said you dont think the cover is an effective heatsink, so my idea will not work without adding a similarly sized heat sink as your youtube links suggest.

having it visible would miss the point of the design, so it would be possible to put a book cover over it, but this is a waste of time. the main appeal of using copper is to make the book more book like, adding a metal block to it half the size of the book is more obtrusive imho than simply adding some ports in the sides for fans