dirty nuc7 build

Vorpalbotch

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
I'm a just a humble man with an external gpu and a nuc. I saw the wasted space in the eGPU and crammed the NUC in and now its sparked a new love for me. It's not perfect nor complete but I will post a couple pics just to give an idea of what ive done so far. Still looking for a solution to power the nuc from an SFX power supply so I dont have to have two outlets eaten up for one system....

Components:

NUC7i7bnh w/ 16gb Crucial DDR4 2666mhz (cant get XMP to work so 2133 is what i'm stuck with)
275GB crucial m.2 mx300
Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box
R9 380x 4GB

I used a dremel to cut the eGPU case so the nuc's front display would be accessible. Cable's all run out the back for now :(
Used 1/32 rubber trim to line cut out for a cleaner look. It's rough but i plan on cleaning up the rough edges and miscuts and then plasti-dipping the case to make it more "me". I'm happy with this so far but i'd love some suggestions and tips. This is my first go so be gentle ha

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Yesss.... pure dirty hackery like I love it!!!

Plzz moar pics!!

Edit: I swear there's a subreddit or a forum somewhere filled with these 'dirty hacks' or whack job. Loved it.

Reactions: Vorpalbotch

Vorpalbotch

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018

Still have to put trim around cable management hole in back of case, luckily I bought 2 feet of it. Had to widen the hole and did a real lazy job just to fit my keyboard usb into the case. Got a few ideas from reddit how to power the nuc itself with an 8 pin psu cable and an adapter. Looking forward to finishing this and then on to the next build!