Design decision help

iamtheqi

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 24, 2019
Hi all, I'm new here and I'd appreciate some input on my upcoming first ITX build.

First off, let me set the context:
I already have a desktop which i'm using as my gaming rig and workstation. Specs are as follows:
  • Ryzen 2700X
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200Mhz (2 x 16GB)
  • AsRock X470 Master SLI/AC
  • Zotac GTX 1080 ti Amp Extreme Edition
  • Samsung 970 Evo NVMe 512GB
  • Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
  • Wraith Prism CPU Cooler
^I game at 21:9 1440p@100Hz and do rendering and programming(Game Dev)^

I've always entertained the thought of building a SFF ever since i chanced upon the sff subreddit, however there was never a need for that but I will be receiving a used 1800X from a friend since he is upgrading and I thought I'd use this chance to try this SFF build. The underlying reason would be to migrate my gaming and workstation capabilities into something small in the future and this would be more of a proof of concept. If it doesn't work as well as I would hope, doesn't matter I had fun and have a custom made SFF pc, if it does then I can plan for future expansions and upgrades. I realise that it might be a bit of a pipe dream since airflow is a huge thing with SFFs and it might hinder the performance of my hardware but it's still a process I want to go through with. Proposed build is as follows:
  • Ryzen 1800X
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200Mhz (2 x 16GB)
  • Gigabyte Aorus B450i Aorus Pro Wifi
  • Samsung 970 Evo NVMe 512GB
  • Some 600W SFX PSU
I deliberately left out CPU Cooler and GPU out from the list here^ and I will explain that in a minute. I'm going to design and fabricate my own ITX case taking design cues from the likes of the Ghost S1 and Dan A4, meaning I will have a spine running down the centre of my case. One of the reasons I wanted to make my own case is so that I can have it in the measurements that I want so that I'd be able to fit something like the Noctua NH-L12S in, instead of settling for the NH-L9a and possibly sacrificing some performance because of temps in the process.

But I would appreciate some input here, should I just make the case thinner and live with the NH-L9a? the 2700X may or may not make its way into my ITX build in the future but that's not confirmed yet.

Also, I might make room for my zotac gpu (I'm 99% sure I won't do it cause it's way too big at 325mm long and 57mm thick but i like to entertain)

Last edited:

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
As someone who also does rendering, and has a 2700X, I find it hard to imagine any cooler smaller than the 47mm tall Cryorig C7 keeping temps down when using precision boost overdrive. And this is with a 92mm adapter + 2x 20mm adapter for triple fans (some for VRM). But at stock, the NH-L9A is probably fine.

iamtheqi

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 24, 2019
As someone who also does rendering, and has a 2700X, I find it hard to imagine any cooler smaller than the 47mm tall Cryorig C7 keeping temps down when using precision boost overdrive.
The C7 is able to cool the 2700X even with precision boost??? I was under the impression that i'd need at least a NH-L12S, and I'd have to make my case a little thicker to accommodate that

And this is with a 92mm adapter + 2x 20mm adapter for triple fans (some for VRM)
Can i have a picture? I sounds very interesting and I'm having troubles imagining it haha

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
And this is with a 92mm adapter + 2x 20mm adapter for triple fans (some for VRM).
IS THIS YOUR PC

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
IS THIS YOUR PC
Close, but with a little more poop brown

Note that this is the Gigabyte AB350N motherboard which has puny VRM heatsinks, so clearance isn't an issue here. Other motherboards will have taller VRM heatsinks, but the cooling capacity varies wildly. Also this is the aluminum C7, copper probably fares better.

After reading up on the latest 3000 ryzen, I want to say that the 3700X actually needs less cooling and would in fact run cooler than a 2700X. Since my 2700X can consume upwards of 125-130 W on PBO, the 3700X meanwhile doesn't need to go past 100W even with PBO so could easily be handled by even the Cryorig C7.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountNoctua

iamtheqi

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 24, 2019
IS THIS YOUR PC

This will never not be funny

After reading up on the latest 3000 ryzen, I want to say that the 3700X actually needs less cooling and would in fact run cooler than a 2700X. Since my 2700X can consume upwards of 125-130 W on PBO, the 3700X meanwhile doesn't need to go past 100W even with PBO so could easily be handled by even the Cryorig C7.

Oh wow that's very interesting. Would you mind pointing me to where you read this? Also what figures would you typically look at?

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
This will never not be funny

Oh wow that's very interesting. Would you mind pointing me to where you read this? Also what figures would you typically look at?
Anandtech has a good review on the power. I really like that they go the extra mile and not the usual youtuber thumbnail of OMG GAMER CPU, TEST WITH GAMES.

This graph shows the power consumption in comparison to all other relevant CPUs. They basically found that with PBO there's a hard limit of 88-90W for any AMD CPU that is rated for 65W on the box.

I can confirm that the 2700X boosting will peak up to that 120W range, but the fact that 3700X now beats it in terms of overall speed while being ridiculously more efficient (~20W less than Zen+) makes me want to switch sooner than later. For the SFF community, AMD 3000 series means that we won't need coolers that were required for Intel's top of the line stuff and AMD's old hot ones - or - go nuts, and cram in the 3900X 12 core while using whatever CPU cooler is required for those said hot headed CPUs.

Last edited:

iamtheqi

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 24, 2019
Anandtech has a good review on the power. I really like that they go the extra mile and not the usual youtuber thumbnail of OMG GAMER CPU, TEST WITH GAMES.
Yes i definitely agree, but I can see why they do it that way. Games have been and are still a dirty and quick way to gauge a system's performance so of course they'd do it that way, but also these numbers would only interest nerds like us LOL.

This graph shows the power consumption in comparison to all other relevant CPUs. They basically found that with PBO there's a hard limit of 88-90W for any AMD CPU that is rated for 65W on the box.
I feel like face palming...I always assumed that the 3700X was rated for 105W like my 2700X. I guess i just never bothered to check, oops! However, this does make me feel like running out to get a 3700X now, but then I'd have 3 ryzen chips from each iteration hahaha. I don't even know why I'd have so many on me.

go nuts, and cram in the 3900X 12 core while using whatever CPU cooler is required for those said hot headed CPUs.
but..but..POWERRRR

I think i'd still make space for at least 70mm for my CPU cooler in this case(heh, get it). Even though i'd be able to get away with a 3700X but i think i would sleep better knowing i have something like a L12S inside

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
Ooh wow that is a great idea. Gonna have to steal it someday, it's funny how my VRM stays at 60-70 while my cpu hovers at 50.
Why steal it when you can buy it? :D