Concept Custom upside down layout

djtinxo

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 15, 2017
Hi there!

I have been thinking A LOT about a custom DIY SFF case that I could made on a budget with a decent cooling. So I came up with the idea of turning the case upside down, this way the gpu would be next to the frontal CPU rad or fans and have a direct air flow.
Size is about 300x270x180mm [it has 120mm tall feet, so the case itself is 180x270x180]
Well, better see the sketches I made. Feedback and opinions are appreciated! :)

PD: My current components are: 6700K/ gtx 1070 mini itx/ SFX-L 500W PSU/ z170i pro gaming

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Hm, how will the air move on after hitting the GPU? It seems like it will have to fit through tight gaps between the top, side and GPU, which could cause quite a lot of noise. If the GPU is watercooled, I'd recommend turning the Mainboard, GPU and PSU around by 180° to enable more ready airflow after the radiator. The PSU will then act as an exhaust fan and you won't need any vents on the back or sides.

I do like the idea behind the design, though. Maybe top and sides could be made from a single sheet? That could look quite cool.

Reactions: Biowarejak

djtinxo

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 15, 2017
Hm, how will the air move on after hitting the GPU? It seems like it will have to fit through tight gaps between the top, side and GPU, which could cause quite a lot of noise. If the GPU is watercooled, I'd recommend turning the Mainboard, GPU and PSU around by 180° to enable more ready airflow after the radiator. The PSU will then act as an exhaust fan and you won't need any vents on the back or sides.

I do like the idea behind the design, though. Maybe top and sides could be made from a single sheet? That could look quite cool.
Yeah, well it's not my idea to watercool the GPU... I thought that maybe with that intake fan from the CPU rad it could be enough for the GPU and also de MB. The PSU is facing directly to the mobo, so it would be also an exhaust fan helping air circulation. I considered also the idea of putting an extra fan either at the top or at the back, but maybe that could cause a negative pressure effect (=dust)...

And yes, it would be awesome if top and sides were a single sheet, but I have no idea of aluminium bending or welding...