Currently fastest config one can stuff into S4M

BorG

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2019
www.radiocity.si
Got the case. S4M.
The question is what are the best gaming components I can cram in. Without modding the case. Prefering PSU inside. Having a brick outside is an option. Money is no object for this client. :) Go!
Many thanks in advance for help.

RogueLeader

Average Stuffer
Oct 11, 2017
Got the case. S4M.
The question is what are the best gaming components I can cram in. Without modding the case. Prefering PSU inside. Having a brick outside is an option.

a watercooled SkyReach system is necessary.

i can provide info.

baratheonbbq

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2019
I saw a bit about 1080ti brackets to fit a brick inside the case, but if you're cool with a fat power brick then idk any mini card I guess? Otherwise under S4 mini

• Love
Reactions: BorG

RogueLeader

Average Stuffer
Oct 11, 2017
I was thinking MSI 2070 mini (175W) and i9-9900 (65W) cooled with Noctua L9i. PSU wise HD PLEX 400W and Dell brick 330W.
No mods needed there, right?

i would order a 400W brick from guryhwa, so you can use an i7-8086K or i9-9900K.

if you want no mods to your SkyReach case, you'll need to ask guryhwa for a brick, with a GX-12 connector. otherwise, a GX-16 connector is recommended.

please keep in mind that he makes many different kinds of bricks, so you want the one with built-in fans.

in order to cool an i7-8086K or i9-9900K, you'll need a BlackRidge cooler, VLP Ram, and a 120mm fan.

Last edited:

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
Got the case. S4M.
The question is what are the best gaming components I can cram in. Without modding the case. Prefering PSU inside. Having a brick outside is an option. Money is no object for this client. :) Go!
Many thanks in advance for help.

Graphics,
If you're willing to go with an external brick, than a Zotac 1080 Ti mini, or a Zotac 2070 Super mini will fit in fine. Both can fit in brickless with mods however.
If you want a brickless build with few mods then a 2070 or 2060 Super is perhaps your best choice.

CPU,
Look up benchmarks for what the Noctua L9i can handle. Myself and a few others have thrown delidded i7 7700K's and 8700K's in there without having to underclock/undervolt it. The i7 9700K shouldn't be an issue. I've seen a few people throw in a Ryzen 3 3700X, but you'll need to tweak that one.

I'd be weary about stepping up to an i9 with the L9i... esepcially if it's one you can't underclock.

CPU Cooler,
Options are basically L9i, or the LP53 with a noctua fan. The alpenfohn black ridge will fit but you'll have to bend it's heatpipes, check out Josh's youtube for that.

Ram,
Basically limited by height. Corsair Dominator and Vengeance Pro RGB ram won't fit. If you're after 64GB ram (2x32GB) the only decent option (IMO) is Corsair Vengeance LPX.... if you're ok with 32GB (2x16GB) then there's plenty of choices. G.Skill Trident Z is a popular one. Well priced, good timings. Quality chips. etc.

Storage,
Depends on your motherboard. If your motherboard has a front m.2 slot, then the new pcie4 m.2 ssds (for x570 boards) with the giant heatsinks will be fine. On a rear-slot m.2, anything with a large heatsink will be too tall.
You've also got the option of 2x2.5" drives.... For maximum storage, Seagate's 15mm high 5TB drives will fit, but if your graphics card doesn't have a backplate, it's recommended you get come kapton tape or something between the hard drives and back of the card.

Obelisk

Trash Compacter
Nov 21, 2017
It hasn’t been tested yet, but the Zotac 2070 super mini should be the same size as the other mini zotac cards mentioned.

HBYR

Chassis Packer
Feb 23, 2019
I think it is. You will need a custom bracket to make it brickless tho. Since you don't have an issue with a power brick, you might as well just use the stock 2070S

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
It hasn’t been tested yet, but the Zotac 2070 super mini should be the same size as the other mini zotac cards mentioned.

Much like the Zotac 1080 Ti mini, to go brickless with the 2070 Super Mini, the only choice you have is a custom io bracket. The 2060S, 2070 (non-super) and other of their cards can have the shroud and backplate removed to fit them in without a custom io bracket. The PCB on the 2070S/1080 Ti is just too tall to do the same.

2070S will fit without mods if you decide to use an external brick though.

BorG

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2019
www.radiocity.si
After short email exchange with Josh from NFC (that man is a world treasure and should be carefuly preserved for next generations) I ended using i5-9400f and 1650 Super. I mainly play League of Legends (DX9 on 1080P, but use 240HZ monitor) and surprisingly difference between GTX 1080TI, 2070 and 1650 Super proved to be so miniscule that I ended using 1650S. Just for fun tried with i9-9900k cooled with

It is plug and play configuration. The only mod I did is that I striped the reqular coolers off GPU, replaced with Noctua fans.
Will probably replace 92mm Noctua with 120mm one on CPU too.