Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
X570 "needing" a fan, i just can't get behind. I'm old enough to remember when nearly every motherboards' "northbridge" had fans, and they were terrible. I'd rather have an oversized/heatpiped cooler than a fan.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
X570 "needing" a fan, i just can't get behind. I'm old enough to remember when nearly every motherboards' "northbridge" had fans, and they were terrible. I'd rather have an oversized/heatpiped cooler than a fan.
I'm from the same era so I feel your sentiment but there have been huge advancements in fan technology and reliability. Brands used to not care about class action lawsuits or online reputation and reviews, but not many brands can afford a fiasco with having a terrible fan to save 2$. And if there are bad fans being used, it'll be apparent from a few reviews pretty quickly. The PSU in the In Win Chopin case also has a tiny fan and I've yet to hear it over the overclocked hardware and GPU that's in there. I also expect that with sufficient airflow the fan is not even needed, but if this Computex was an indication, people seem to love cases with glass in front of RGB fans and have airflow-starved case designs. I wouldn't be surprised they are arming themselves against the closed-off airboxes that house rotating RGB LED windmills.

The chipset is also rated at 11W when all PCIe lanes are stressed at the same time, meaning you'd need to fully load those M.2 drives which isn't easy to do. I'd expect most to work like modern PSUs: the fan wouldn't even run or at the lowest speed unless severely stressed.

Reactions: 1s44c