News CASE: Jonsbo Announces Storage Oriented N1 ITX Case

Jonsbo has announced a new storage-oriented ITX case called the N1. The N1 features support for up to five 3.5" hard drives, and one 2.5" hard drive. The CPU cooling is limited to 70mm in height, and users can install a single low-profile PCI-E card. The N1 can be stood vertically or horizontally, and supports SFX power supplies. The N1s outer shell is a single piece of aluminum that slides down around an inner spine similar to the Thorzone Mjolner and Louqe Raw S1.

Dimensions are listed as: 170mm(W) x 354mm(D) x 217mm(H).

Cooling for the five 3.5" hard drives is handled via a single 140mm fan at the front/top, and all the hard drives can be equipped with easy grab handles to help with removal. Several photos on the Jonsbo website include a SATA backplane for the hard drives to dock into, though it's unknown if it's an optional or standard feature.

Pricing and availability have not been announced at this time.

Here is a link to the Jonsbo N1 Product Page.

Personal Take: Well... I guess I'm building a new server. Anyone know of any good low-profile RAID cards?

1628197026557.png

1628196861662.png

1628196913897.png

Attachments

• 1628196820847.png
    1628196820847.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 2

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Oooh, I'll take one too!! Then again I have enough projects..

The tough part for me is that I've build my own servers before, but end up doing nothing more than what a NAS offers. Honestly, I'd almost be batter with a DAS.

Plus I have a bunch of projects too....I have a Cerberus X system just waiting for me to connect some fans that I've been too lazy to do. I have a Mac Mini I need to inspect. I spent 4 hours straightening pins on a super weird Mac clones CPU that fell out during shipping. I even have a Mac LC that I'm upgrading! This is a good type of busy. ;)

ReturnedSword

Cable Smoosher
Sep 28, 2018
So this is finally available state side on Newegg.

Sadly after the H/Z370 and Z390 there are no longer any “cheap” ITX boards that have 6 SATA. Understandable as in most use cases NVMe is much better. So one would have to go with either an older board, or a Xeon E board which seems overkill for 5 drives.

Honestly my dream general non-rack NAS case would be mATX with 8 non hot swap drives similar to the Invasion X4 which seems impossible to get imported to the US. Something that supports 120/140 mm fans up front. Yes, there’s the ancient Node 804, but it’s big and ugly.

If any designers find a profitable way to design one I’d buy it in a heartbeat!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This is a possible solution:
Do look out if it supports the type of NAS or OS you are planning to use.

ReturnedSword

Cable Smoosher
Sep 28, 2018
There isn’t anything wrong with the JMB585 controller. The main problem with the M.2 B/M key 5 port adapter and M.2 E key 2 port adapter is that they are quite flimsy with a lot of flex. The second problem is the JMB585 chip gets quite hot, so it’s suggested that one put a small heat sink on it. I have a small aluminum Raspberry Pi heat sink on mine for example. The IOCrest one is just a rebadge of a no-name brand adapter available on Alibaba and Taobao btw.

Of course, one would have to sacrifice an M.2 slot as well. I have the B/M key adapter. I might end up buying the E key version with 2 SATA, as I won’t need WiFi on a NAS.

What I’d love to use the N1 for is a light Windows virtualization box using Proxmox, to handle my seed box needs. 8 3.5” drives would be preferred but I can probably live with 5.