Build idea - Phanteks Shift

deathadder666

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
Ok, so although I've been waiting for others to come to production, I've decided in terms of space on my desk, I wanted to get the Phanteks Shift (maybe the Shift X, but prefer the smaller one). I know they said it supports 2x 120mm AIO coolers, and I need to water cool the CPU at a minimum.

Since I scored a GTX 1060 FE from NVIDIA this week (supposed to arrive Wednesday!!!) I wanted to water cool it also. I checked with EK and found their GPU block in the Fluid Gaming kit would fit it. But it comes with a dual 120mm rad that won't fit in the Shift (but will in the Shift X). Got me thinking of another possibility, but I need help.

The EK-KIT S120 would work for cooling the CPU, not a problem. But I was thinking of getting an extra slim 120mm rad from EK and looping it in with the GPU block (also purchased separately). The problem is whether the pump/res combo would fit still? Anyone with a Shift case accomplish this?

I'm also thinking I might just get a NZXT h400i or Fractal Define Mini for the build for now too. Then I can just get the Fluid Gaming kit. I'm not a novice with building computers, just not building my own loops (I've used AIO's before). I want to build my own loop this time out too, so no suggestions of AIO's please. I don't plan on using them this time out.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Something to note: Some of the EK fluid kits are aluminum based. Make sure if its an aluminum kit that you only expand the kits with aluminum blocks/components. Adding copper or nickel-plated copper blocks/components to the loop will cause corrosion.

Reactions: Phuncz

deathadder666

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
Something to note: Some of the EK fluid kits are aluminum based. Make sure if its an aluminum kit that you only expand the kits with aluminum blocks/components. Adding copper or nickel-plated copper blocks/components to the loop will cause corrosion.

Yes, I've read enough to know if I go Fluid Gaming series to stick to aluminum. The good thing about that kit though is that it has a CPU and GPU block so I wouldn't really do anything else, maybe change the tubing to hard instead of soft and maybe add some UV to the water.

I'm looking at the slim series still as a possibility. I saw on these forums that someone did a hardline custom loop in the Shift with a CPU and GPU block. My thoughts were to do the same with the 120mm slim kit from EK, but swap out the fans for the Noctua A12x15 fans to save a bit of clearance space. then I think I can get two (2) of the EK slim 120mm rads in there. I'm not too worried about heat since I don't plan to overclock either CPU or GPU.

Any thoughts on that?

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
If your not planning on overclocking you should be fine with a slim 240 (2x120) setup for both the GPU and CPU, or just a single 120 for the CPU if you don't go with the GPU block one. You can always undervolt a bit to help as well without affecting performance much. The EK fans are decent if you stick with them and replacing them with some Noctua's should be fine (even the slims). Also doing Rad -> Fan -> Rad (if im understanding you correctly) in my experience is okay but youll be losing a bit of the performance on the rads by sucking/blowing hot air into one of the rads. To compensate you might need to run the fan at a higher RPM, but thats something to experiment with.

As to hardline, thats a personal preference thing. Do it if you want, but extra fittings will be costly depending on how you do your runs.

deathadder666

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
I'm more worried about the CPU since the space in the Shift doesn't have the clearance or airflow for a HSF to be effective. The GPU can survive I think without being on water. But noise is a more important factor to me, I want it quiet since it sits on my desk next to my ear. I would ideally want it quiet when not gaming. If I'm rendering video or playing games, no big deal, I'm either letting it run or have my headphones/speakers on then.

I'm concerned the slim 120mm radiator will not fit with one already there. To run a 240mm radiator would mean moving to a Shift X, which I don't think is worth the extra $50 premium for 7" of height for the exact same chassis ($20 or $30 maybe). Thus why I'm trying to figure it all out before I purchase. I'm not rich and can't buy case over case or case to find a good solution. And I'd like to future proof a bit if I can.

I'd probably go rad->cpu->rad->gpu for the loop. I'd likely have them pulling in from the bottom and front of the case and then have the top fan on the case exhaust up (heat rises). At this point, I wonder if I can just mod the bottom chamber a bit and have air pulled in and up the case? Then I get a low profile HSF and have cool air from the bottom and front pulled in and up towards the CPR and GPU. That might work.