Cooling Best Cooler for Jonsbo U1 Plus/Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WIFI/Ryzen 5 2400G

hardwarevreag

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Dear community,

I am asking you for recommendations regarding this case and the specififc motherboard. I am aware that the mainboard needs airflow to stay cool, therefore I think my choice regarding the cooler might have a big impact on my outlook for moderate overclocking.

I am considering the coolers Noctua L12S and Jonsbo HP-625. Which of these coolers is better and what would you use for this build?

Best

Julian aka hardwarevreag

Reactions: confusis

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The Jonsbo site shows a cooler height limit of 133mm, which is pretty generous. The NH-L12S is a great choice. At that height limit, you could also consider the NH-C14S with the fan mounted underneath for some epic cooling capacity. The Be Quiet! Shadow Rock TF2 and Dark Rock TF with a single bottom fan would also work nicely.

hardwarevreag

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Damn. I didn't know that the Noctua C14S has a low profile mode. And yes it's height would fit. But I can't yet figure out, how I have to orient it on the motherboard. How owuld I have to orient the cooler, so that I can get best performance while retaining my ability to install expansion cards? If we could solve this mystery I would be most grateful and certainly know how to build this system since I doubt there is a more powerful cooler out there that fits into my form factor :D.

So I made a draft of the situation:

https://ibb.co/gGDSjH

(btw. Pictures did not work for me so pls apologize this glitch of mine =))

So, bear in mind that my case is only about 22cm tall from left to right and I have to fit in the case, HDDs with 15mm and of course my new mega cooler. I would also like to use my single case fan opportunity to have at least one functioning air exhaust or intake (What would be better?). So yeah, I just do not see how to place it :)

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I use an NH-D9L in my Sunmilo case which has an identical layout. That's on the Gigabyte A88XN board which I think should be similar to yours.

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
Dear community,

I am asking you for recommendations regarding this case and the specififc motherboard. I am aware that the mainboard needs airflow to stay cool, therefore I think my choice regarding the cooler might have a big impact on my outlook for moderate overclocking.

I am considering the coolers Noctua L12S and Jonsbo HP-625. Which of these coolers is better and what would you use for this build?

Best

Julian aka hardwarevreag
You could get a EKL Alpenföhn ATLAS with 200W TDP

https://www.alpenfoehn.de/en/products/cpu-cooler/atlas

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

hardwarevreag

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Thanks for your replies.

@IntoxicatedPuma: I might as well try the NH-D9L since I have it right here anyway.

@TheSa´tarKiller: While being an impressive Cooler, I am more inclined to go for a Topblower since the VRMs on the Board need Airflow or they will become hot and maybe too hot on a sunny day while overclocking :D.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Also, @hardwarevreag, check out this thread here on SFF Forum. We had quite a bit of a chat about coolers in the U1 Plus, and I was lucky enough to run 3 of the most popular choices through some tests. Good input from other folks with the case, too. Definitely worth looking over.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

hardwarevreag

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
So. I have now assembled it using a Noctua D9L.

It worked out ... terribly. Why?

Because the *fucking* case gets *fucking* hot. I do not even reach the VRM limit so much as the CPU heats up alot too. So I end up with very hot VRMSOC, VRM MOS and so on (without even any Overclocking which I planned on doing). Even the chipset lingers around 60-70 degree. Airflow is minimal which explains why my CPU area is a hot mess. My mainboards "GPU" thermal sensor shows 19 degrees. (I am using an APU, no GPU installed). I wonder how temperatures will behave when stressing the PC for like half a day. (I sometimes have to do calculations which go on for half a week).

Yet I have totally fallen in love with the case. Is there anything I can do? Should I try out Topblowers? Or should I forget about hot APUs and look for a CPU/GPU combo? I will keep this build for the time but I have already promised it to my little brother so I can start from scratch XD

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Problem is that case has very limited airflow, and changing out the CPU cooler isn't going to do much if you're not getting the heat out of the case.

I see it has an 80mm rear fan mount, do you have that populated? If not then the only thing actually moving air out of the case is the PSU fan, which isn't going to cut it. An 80mm exhaust fan won't give you a huge improvement, but it's better than nothing.

hardwarevreag

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Yes. I have a Noctua 80mm fan installed. However it is not enough obvioulsy. So if you say it would be no use to change the cooler and there is no way to install another fan without resorting to modding, then ... I shall look for a decent GPU and CPU setup. This however is going to cost alot at the moment :(.

Last edited:

hardwarevreag

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
I will try sometime and report back. :)

@"Solo": Now, we are a Duo XD

PS: I have tried removing the glas, temperatures dropped by at least 10 degress across the board. So ist is correct to assume, that aairflow is the problem.

PPS. I speak of IDLE temps. 40*C to 30*C (roughly)

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
So. I have now assembled it using a Noctua D9L.

It worked out ... terribly. Why?

Because the *fucking* case gets *fucking* hot. I do not even reach the VRM limit so much as the CPU heats up alot too. So I end up with very hot VRMSOC, VRM MOS and so on (without even any Overclocking which I planned on doing). Even the chipset lingers around 60-70 degree. Airflow is minimal which explains why my CPU area is a hot mess. My mainboards "GPU" thermal sensor shows 19 degrees. (I am using an APU, no GPU installed). I wonder how temperatures will behave when stressing the PC for like half a day. (I sometimes have to do calculations which go on for half a week).

Yet I have totally fallen in love with the case. Is there anything I can do? Should I try out Topblowers? Or should I forget about hot APUs and look for a CPU/GPU combo? I will keep this build for the time but I have already promised it to my little brother so I can start from scratch XD
The ATLAS Cooler had worked as the rear exhaust plus the PSU... Normaly witj the bottom mesh removed it should perform great and BTW. The Raven Ridge APUs use Tim and are not Soldert so the temperature is naturaly higher.

You could try mounting a Slim 120mm Fan on the outside between the feed.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yes. I have a Noctua 80mm fan installed. However it is not enough obvioulsy. So if you say it would be no use to change the cooler and there is no way to install another fan without resorting to modding, then ... I shall look for a decent GPU and CPU setup. This however is going to cost alot at the moment :(.

What you care is the amount of wattage that is being dumped in the case and any other components would have the same issue.

Fit two 80mm fans and zip tie a 120mm fan inside the case on the bottom.

Also vrm can reach 105c and still be fine.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Could you maybe zip tie a 120 or 140mm fan on the bottom as an intake?
In my experiments with this case, without a GPU even a full-fat 140mm fan could be fit into the bottom as an intake but on the inside - so yes absolutely - zip ties aren't even necessary! Could use some nice semi-adhesive rubber-nubs with the added benefit of anti-vibration.

Please also note that the rear of the case can also have a 92mm fitted to it, although it only has the mounting points for 80mm. Shame Jonsbo didn't just move the mounting points over as there is more than enough space to properly fit a 92mm fan as exhaust on the back. Also, there is space to rig up two 80mm one on top of the other, that would involve a little more effort though - but still not much.

Couple of things to note:

- Remove all the dust filters, especially that silly one on the front intake grills that is glued to the inside of the chassis. Rip it off, it helps, I have tested this. The obstruction really slows airflow.

- If you are struggling a lot with temperatures, also remove the IO shield on the motherboard - the more space exposed to the open world the better. Also, it opens up a good chunk of space under the PSU for it to suck in some cooler air from outside.

You could try mounting a Slim 120mm Fan on the outside between the feed.
This would also work however it would be required that you up the height of the feet in some way, as even with a slim fan there just isn't the height to accommodate something mounted underneath.

As for top-down coolers, they fight with the glass and have no path to fresh air - on top of that, they fight with the exhaust when you have it populated. In my tests, it didn't help much with VRM, and sometimes made it worse depending on the configuration becasue it was just blowing hot air back down onto the board. Get the heat out - always. If you put intake in the bottom, it could work great however.

Also vrm can reach 105c and still be fine.
This is true from what I have read.

Fact is, without a GPU, you shouldn't really be struggling with thermal issues especially considering the fans you could throw in here without the GPU there. That being said, I am not sure why you are having problems. I run the same cooler as you with a 1060 and never suffer heat problems. @wiretap also has a 1080ti and I believe an overclocked chip in his U1 Plus without thermal issues. It can be done! Don't give up hope!

As an aside @hardwarevreag , as per the the rules here, generally the usage of vulgar language in posts here is not tolerated (or at least hasn't been from what I have seen, and it being removed in the past) so just a friendly reminder to keep an eye on that so we ca keep the great discussion going along :) I am not an authority on this, just wanted to give a heads up :thumb:

Last edited:

hardwarevreag

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Hey. Thanks for all the helpful answers. It seems I have something to study :D. I will keep in touch with you when I have made progress :). And of yourse I will tell you what did the trick (or not) :)

On a side note: My chip is delidded. I had a friend of mine do it. However the CPU is notorious for being hot. And as it is an APU the graphics chip is sort of integrated :D. So that being said I really put up a lot of heat at a place where you guys might prodcue less.

TRBZN61

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2020
Look here: