Best 12V powerbrick for Pico PSU

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Hello there!

I have seen different threads here on the forum about different powerbricks and PSUs. But none of them really answers my question.

Im using Pico-PSUs in my builds mostly, right now I have two Streacom 150W units with the powerbrick that comes with that kit. But as @confusis taught me a few years ago the Pico-PSU does not regulate the 12V so a more powerful powerbrick can be used.

So what is the best and most powerful 12V powerbrick you have ever found? I found one at 192W here in Sweden but I have been checking on ebay, but most of the more powerful ones is 17-19.5V.

Any tips?

With kind regards,
Johan Nyman

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Last edited:

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com

Yes I think I have seen these before, the URLs does not work by the way. But I would like a more standard powerbrick I think. :)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
My most reliable solution was a gen1 Xbox 360 power brick - but yeah thats 192w. My other solution is to do waht AMD did with their Quantum PC - mod a sfx or atx power supply to provide only 12v out :)

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Probably session-bound, I "URL-hacked" the PDF addresses and updated my post. Apparently I could have also web-searched the product numbers, the PDFs are freely available.

I don't know where you are based but it's about $100 with shipping in the US: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0131VDLQO/?tag=theminutiae-20

Oh okay I see. But the one on Amazon is 48V output? Or am I missing something.

Mini box has a 192w that they appear to make themselves specifically for the Pico PSU http://www.mini-box.com/12v-16A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter

Yes thats the one I have found here in Sweden too. But I would something more powerful. :D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh okay I see. But the one on Amazon is 48V output? Or am I missing something.
Ah crap it's the 48V version, I missed that part. Although I've seen the 12V version at a few electronics suppliers for roughly the same price.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Last edited:

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Here is a Dell 216w http://www.my-adaptor.com/12v-18a-ac-adapter.html and 240w http://www.my-adaptor.com/12v-20a-ac-adapter.html

XBox One power adaptor could be an option at 220w http://www.my-adaptor.com/12v-17.9a-ac-adapter.html

They are at least half the price but not quite as powerful, how much power are you hoping to get? Pico Box makes similar wide input DC-DC PSU that has a 240w peak.

Oh that one looks good too. Around 240W would be perfect, I might order two of those. Thanks! :D

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
I have ordered a Z3-ATX-200 to pair with the Dell PA-9E 240W which seems to have best power output for weight and volume compared to anything else I can find, the Dell & Tyco options above are twice the volume and weight of something like the PA-9E for example and the PA-9E is still very large.

The XBox One adaptor provides a much better power to weight/volume ratio and will be widely available at a very good price which would make it the best 12v PSU in my opinion,

If the Z3-ATX-200 doesn't work out for some reason I will be using PicoPSU with XBox One bricks for sure.

Reactions: Soul_Est

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
I have ordered a Z3-ATX-200 to pair with the Dell PA-9E 240W which seems to have best power output for weight and volume compared to anything else I can find, the Dell & Tyco options above are twice the volume and weight of something like the PA-9E for example and the PA-9E is still very large.

The XBox One adaptor provides a much better power to weight/volume ratio and will be widely available at a very good price which would make it the best 12v PSU in my opinion,

If the Z3-ATX-200 doesn't work out for some reason I will be using PicoPSU with XBox One bricks for sure.

Wow this is amazing, thank you for all the tips. :)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
There are bigger ones to experiment with, but the 16A STD-12160 that comes bundled with the 160XT kit is one of the best bricks I have ever used. It is solid as a rock and I have never had a single one fail over the past 6 years with several industrial companies making large orders of these things. This speaks volumes because as I am sure you guys know it is hard to find a high amperage brick that lasts very long. Heck, even the baby ones that come with laptops go bad pretty quick.

Eventually my beater brick that I have had since 2010 that has undergone countless tortures started making a small buzzing noise, but it still works.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I wanted to give some love to the brick that just keeps going.

Reactions: Soul_Est

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
There are bigger ones to experiment with, but the 16A STD-12160 that comes bundled with the 160XT kit is one of the best bricks I have ever used. It is solid as a rock and I have never had a single one fail over the past 6 years with several industrial companies making large orders of these things. This speaks volumes because as I am sure you guys know it is hard to find a high amperage brick that lasts very long. Heck, even the baby ones that come with laptops go bad pretty quick.

Eventually my beater brick that I have had since 2010 that has undergone countless tortures started making a small buzzing noise, but it still works.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I wanted to give some love to the brick that just keeps going.

Thanks for the input Josh. :)