jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
Original poster
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
a button in to the footer to return to the top of the page would be useful, or clone the breadcrumbs down there, either works

jØrd

Original poster
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
that takes me to the top of the thread, not the top of the page. usually im only interested in going to the top to get to the breadcrumbs to get back to the forums from a thread ive finished reading (hence suggesting breadcrumbs at the bottom), also its seems counter intuitive (imo)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'll play around with it this weekend. The forum theme comes with a back to top button but I disabled it because it didn't play nice on mobile.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If you're not on a mobile device, the the 'Home' keyboard key will bring you straight to the top of the page, as long as you don;t currently have a text entry box selected.

Reactions: iFreilicht

jØrd

Original poster
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
at the risk of coming off like a dick, i'm well aware there are many, many ways to navigate from one end of a web page to another. The reason i bring up a "return to top" button is because none of those ways really work great with how i work when moving around the web in a browser.

Ah you mean it should scroll up just a bit further so you can go to the forum you're currently in?
yes, essentially a one click to get to somewhere on the page where there is useful navigation from the bottom of said page. Having the double up arrow scroll past the 1st post and anchor at the breadcrumbs would work although it seems kind of counter-intuitive/cryptic/not obvious. alternativly something simple along the lines of this seems pretty non-intrusive:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, I've turned the jump to top button back on, though only if the screen size is larger than 800px. So that should keep it from getting in the way on phone screens.

jØrd

Original poster
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Ok, I've turned the jump to top button back on, though only if the screen size is larger than 800px. So that should keep it from getting in the way on phone screens.

Awesome, thanks

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Personally, I prefer to have the breadcrumbs accessible from wherever over just a jump to top button.
Of, course, since I usually need the breadcrumbs when I am at the end of a topic, having those at the bottom is also good.