ASUS G20AJ Extremely barebones help

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
I now own this VERY barebones case. It has only O.E. case fans inside. It won't be for gaming...just a daily surfboard for mail, shop, etc. So...the mainboard is proprietary w/ an external PSU, or (2) psu. Forget that. I am hoping someone can tell me the form factor of the mobo. Based on a picture I've seen, it is cutaway with a corner missing. There appears to be room for a micro board inside or a mini itx for sure. I would likely stay with an external psu. I paid $50.00 for the case. I'd like to keep the rest near $250.00. Integrated graphics, no gpu. I don't need fancy audio or an internal DVD drive. I want SATA3. Front and rear I/o panels are plastic, should be able to modify or replace. I will use an SSD. I believe there's enough room to mount the SSD on a PCIe caddy. Would anyone care to offer up anything? Oldie and newbie, Ist thread, 1st build. Best regards, dinosoar.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Does anyone know the form factor of the G20AJ motherboard? The bolt holes are approx. 9" x 8.5". I understand it uses a Z77 chipset. Could it possibly be a mATX? Thank You.

ColorZepppelin

Trash Compacter
ColorZeppelin Computers
Apr 8, 2016
@dinosoar It's not any specific form factor. I'ts custom made by Asus to fit that specific case. I have here a H97-I motherboard version of the G20AJ. I'ts a great little motherboard for the amount of features/tech it has but is not a small as ITX. And the mounting holes are different. Here I made a quick sketchup model whilst working on a small project a while back. You can see the comparisson. Bought mine for 75Euro used.

Reactions: Soul_Est

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
This project is still in the "tomorrow file." Thank You Color Zeppelin for your time and effort. I have been of the belief that mobo mounting distances are standard within a specific type: H97, H110, etc. I am apparently wrong. I will try a Zotac 880G ITX mobo for a fit. Maybe this weekend, since I will be up 'till the wee hours waiting for IRMA. The rear I/O shield on the G20 is plastic. It should only take me about 3 yrs. to make one to fit a diff. board. I'm still leaning towards a board with a single round connection for use with an external PSU. I won't use a video card, so there will be plenty of space avail. inside The twin case cooling fans should be adequate for a smaller board. Thank You.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Motherboard mounting distances are only standardized for boards that fit one of the consumer motherboard form factor standards (ATX, micro-ATX, mini-ITX, thin mini-ITX), rather than by the chipset. Even then, those standards only define the maximum board dimension, location of the mounting holes, IO area, and PCIe connectors. CPU location and keepout depend on the socket. Other headers and slots can go wherever they fit.

This board is customized for a specific pre-built system, so the OEM could do whatever they liked/needed in terms of mounting holes, board shape and locations of all components.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Thank You. Does the O.E. board conform to a specific form factor w/ regards to mounting. That is my only concern. I suppose I could drill new mounting holes for an aftermarket board. An ITX board w/ a 45watts or so CPU would leave room for an internal SFX psu. I already have the (2) O.E. case fans. I don't intend to use any GPU, only the cpu graphics. In case I forgot to mention, this will be just a daily surfboard, read that as NO gamer/gaming here. The G20 case s quite striking. I am obliged. Randy.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
I have obtained an inop. O.E board for a paltry sum. The seller informed me it boots, then shortly after, the monitor goes blue. What next? Please, can someone offer advice? Thank You, Randy.