Asus has announced their first ROG branded NUC SFF PC. Featuring a 2.5L design that can be turned vertically or horizontally, the ultra-SFF PC includes either a RTX 4060 Mobile or RTX 4070 Mobile. CPU selection is either the Intel Core Ultra 7 155H or Core Ultra 9 185H. Both include ARC based iGPUs meaning there will likely be full support for Quicksync acceleration. RAM is up to 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5-5600 SO-DIMMs, and there are three Gen4x4 M.2 slots for storage. WiFi 6E support is standard, as is a 2.5G ethernet port. Power is provided via a 330 watt power brick.

Continue reading...

Reactions: Phuncz and HWI

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Just read the specs. Very impressive for 2.5 litre chassis. I don't like the external PSU, that adds to the total volume (and weight) of the system.

It's certainly interesting, and I'd love to get my hands on one to test it. I'm not a fan of external power bricks but years of laptop carrying have made me numb to them.

MrHadgehog

Case Bender
New User
Sep 13, 2019
Very strange decision to be honest. They might include 4090 with underclocking it. The bus for both 4070 or 4060 is way to small. With 4090 they could launch the best on the market sub 3L mini pc that is competitive with market full size desktops

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Very strange decision to be honest. They might include 4090 with underclocking it. The bus for both 4070 or 4060 is way to small. With 4090 they could launch the best on the market sub 3L mini pc that is competitive with market full size desktops

I think they are testing the market response with a less expensive model as the 4090 chips would quickly drive up the price pretty substantially. The RTX 4090 mobile at 150 watts is right up there with a desktop class 3080 or even slightly above. Their chassis is already running at 140 watts, albeit we don't know if it's capable of maintaining it yet. Could be a some users end-game SFF at that performance level if it works out.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
FYI guys...LTT has a video with a tear-down of this NUC on their ShortCircuit sub-channel,

Last edited:

MrHadgehog

Case Bender
New User
Sep 13, 2019
I think they are testing the market response with a less expensive model as the 4090 chips would quickly drive up the price pretty substantially. The RTX 4090 mobile at 150 watts is right up there with a desktop class 3080 or even slightly above. Their chassis is already running at 140 watts, albeit we don't know if it's capable of maintaining it yet. Could be a some users end-game SFF at that performance level if it works out.
Afaik on the product page they are stating to use 330w psu. Testing market with lower end model make sense, you are right

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
Or buy a Framework motherboard barebone and print an enclosure for it and load it it memory and storage

I wanted to do a Steam Deck mainboard inside a keyboard for a while now... :')

For the framework someone has already designed something like that.