Alpenföhn BlackRidge: Changing the fan?

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 20, 2019
Hello,

I have a Blackridge CPU fan from alpenföhn but I read that some people changed the fan. So which one should I buy to make it more quiet and cooler? Also does anybody know where to position the fan? Should I switch the old one which or put it on top of the cooler?

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Noctua A9x14 is porbably the optimal fan. If you can find it, go for the new chromax version. Not because of the looks, but the fan has a600-2500 RPM range instead of 500-2200 RPM of the standard retail version. It'll give you a bit more headroom.

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019
Optimum Tech has the best review about the cooler:

I also quite like this weird Japanese anime girl review (lmao) with the 120mm underside fan, it looks like a V1 so probably the reason for poor thermal results:

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Optimum Tech has the best review about the cooler:

I also quite like this weird Japanese anime girl review (lmao) with the 120mm underside fan, it looks like a V1 so probably the reason for poor thermal results:
how can you tell the difference between v1 and v2?

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019
V1 looks matte black, but the V2 looks gunmetal.

However I did just reskim the video and maybe it is a V2. The lighting isn't very good so from some shots it looks black but from others it looks gunmetal.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
V1 looks matte black, but the V2 looks gunmetal.

However I did just reskim the video and maybe it is a V2. The lighting isn't very good so from some shots it looks black but from others it looks gunmetal.
thanks. i just bought one second-hand and it didn't look like the soldering was inconsistent but i didn't know how else to tell. looking at the original release photos, i can see the difference now.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Try Thermalright TY-100 fan (100mm fan with 92mm mounting holes)
IMO it will give you best performance without need of VLP memory

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Try Thermalright TY-100 fan (100mm fan with 92mm mounting holes)
IMO it will give you best performance without need of VLP memory

That's a really good suggestion and I'm surprised I've never seen it brought up before. I know JHACK is pretty big on the TY-100, I nearly bought one off his site for an L9a some time ago.