Log Advice on which case to buy!

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
I've been looking all over the web for resources daily for along time. Comparing case performance regarding thermals, noise and component conpability.

And after all this time I still can't decide what case to buy for my next build.
I've owned a node 202 in the past which I later sold off because I started studies and now I just own a large fat ATX case.
The node 202 was great except the fast it made quite some noise on my desk.

What I'm looking for in a case:
1. Full-size gpu and mid-high performance cpu. Ryzen 4 and next gen RDNA 2 GPUS.
2. 2 x 2,5" drive (going to run hackintosh on one and windows on one). One ssd and one m.2 drive might be possible as well.
3.prefer air cooling but I could try out water cooling if the thermals and noise are significantly better.
4. I move my pc maybe a few times per year between my university city and hometown. Doesn't have to be ultra portable but moving my large ATX case right now is almost impossible.
5. Not afraid of doing some modification to the case if it will make the thermals and noise a lot better.

My options now:

1. A very small case like Velka 5 (around 5 liters). I don't really need that portability that these cases offer but if the thermal and noise performance isn't that bad then why not. It would be easier to just fit in a suitcase when moving.
I was thinking I could maybe build something under my desk where I can put a case like this and thereby hide the noise from having the case right on top of the desk.

2. 10 liters case. Form-D1, sliger sm560 etc. These cases are still very small but cooling seem to be a bit better than the absolut smallest cases.

3. Larger cases like n-case m1, sm580 or even the new NR200 from cooler master.
NR200 is pretty large but it will be cheaper than the most options and easily available for my who live in Europe. Also probably performs pretty well with thermals and noise.

I understand that any case can probably have good thermals and noise with a custom loop but I'm not sure if I want to go there yet because of pricepoint and also I'm afraid that something might go wrong when moving the case.

I know I mentioned I'm going to build this build with ryzen 4 and such which are not yet released but to my knowledge it can take a lot of time getting your sff case depending on what you want to buy which is why I'm trying to plan ahead!

Any advice? I know there are some very talented sff builders in here who can help me out!

Last edited:

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
I hope I got all the info needed into this post. I've really looked into almost all the popular alternatives that are available for sff cases but I still can't come to a good conclusion.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
I ended up with the SG13 after all my research. Been happy and it's easy to build in. However the NZXT H1 was a strong contender.

Optimum Tech does a lot of ITX content if you want to zone out and watch videos for a while.

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
I ended up with the SG13 after all my research. Been happy and it's easy to build in. However the NZXT H1 was a strong contender.

Optimum Tech does a lot of ITX content if you want to zone out and watch videos for a while.

I've checked probably all his videos and I still can't decide. Maybe I'm just being stupid at this point. The NZXT H1 looks nice but damn those GPU temps are not for me...

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
Since you want to fit a few drives I'd go with the Ncase and Sliger 560 first. Ncase has the best options for aircooling and watercooling if you decide to go that route. The 560 has the option for a 92mm aio which will be better than the aircoolers you can fit in there. The FormD T1 is also a great case, but only has support for one 2.5" drive out of the box. You can still fit a 120mm aio or 240 aio (with a lot of restrictions) if you wanted to. The Ncase and Sliger 560 are a lot easier to get than the FormD T1. I just moved my build from the Ncase into the FormD T1, so I can help answer questions for you if you have more.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I’m going to suggest the NCASE M1, and this is completely biased as I’m about to build into one in the next month or so.

However, I chose to get one after looking at a lot of options, and wanting very much the same things you’re looking for from a case.

Ultimately, I want to get a next gen GPU, and then a 4000 series Ryzen CPU. At the moment, outside of some rumors, no one knows how big those GPUs will be, or how much cooling will be required. The NCASE seemed like the best option for future proofing, without going to a case that’s too large.

Dual or triple slot GPU, reasonably large air coolers (for an ITX) or water cooling, space for 2.5 inch drives. It’s all possible in the NCASE.

Eventually, I want to build in something smaller, perhaps more for the challenge than out of necessity, but that will likely be a PC just for gaming, and I’ll be willing to limit my hardware choices more for that second PC.

The NR200 wasn’t available when I made my purchase, and I think it’s amazing value, but I would have probably still chosen the smaller NCASE if it had been.

Reactions: rfarmer

Neophyte

Trash Compacter
Aug 1, 2020
I might have bought the NCase M1 were the NR200 not coming available. I don't honestly think you can go wrong with either, and my choice of the NR200 was budget related. I also suspect that the powder-coated NR200 may hold up better to being moved around than the M1, which may make a difference for you. I can hardly wait to get my NR200. My other choice, because I was really trying to save desk space, was the Evolv Shift Air, but having read a lot about it sounds like a painful case to build and use.

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I might have bought the NCase M1 were the NR200 not coming available. I don't honestly think you can go wrong with either, and my choice of the NR200 was budget related. I also suspect that the powder-coated NR200 may hold up better to being moved around than the M1, which may make a difference for you. I can hardly wait to get my NR200. My other choice, because I was really trying to save desk space, was the Evolv Shift Air, but having read a lot about it sounds like a painful case to build and use.

I’m assuming with your need to move the case around you’re going for the NR200 and not the NR200P.

I think the P model will be quite popular, especially with RGB lovers.

Neophyte

Trash Compacter
Aug 1, 2020
I’m assuming with your need to move the case around you’re going for the NR200 and not the NR200P.

I think the P model will be quite popular, especially with RGB lovers.

Definitely the NR200, and I'm not an RGB lover, so staring at my build through the glass isn't my thing. ;-)