Advice on low power light gaming build

JRR

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 18, 2017
Hi,
I'm a complete noob to SFF builds, but I'd like to build a thin min itx rig for light gaming. It needs to be very low power, and needs to be dc input only, as I'm going to be using it in a travel trailer powered by a 12 volt solar panel system. I'd want it mainly for playing WoW, Hearthstone, maybe a few other mmos, and, if possible, I'd like to be able to play Divinity: Original Sin 2, which lists the minimum gpu as Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti or AMD Radeon HD 6770. I need to keep this as low power as possible, but I don't mind stretching the power consumption a bit if it means I can play DOS 2. I also need to keep the cost down as much as possible. I'm not asking much, am I? :-) Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice on a motherboard, cpu, gpu, and psu.

Thanks.

JRR

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 18, 2017
Actually, thinking about an I5 4670T and a GTX 1050 Ti. That's 120 watts. Think that would suit my needs? I can downgrade to the GT 1030 if necessary.

Reactions: Julio Espinosa

JRR

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 18, 2017
I don't really have a hard cap. I have 500 watts of solar, charging a 360 AH battery bank. I don't really have much electricity need, other than a computer. I run a few lights, a fan, and once in a while, a 35 watt tv. I'd like to keep it as low power as possible, but I'm flexible. If I can keep it under 160-180 watts, I'd be happy with that.

Thanks!

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
This is really neat, I've always liked the idea of a self sustained energy system that can power things like a gaming PC. Build log on your solar trailer? :p

Reactions: Julio Espinosa

JRR

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 18, 2017
As I said, I'm a noob. I don't really know what a build log is.

I would love it if someone could recommend a motherboard for this project.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
A build log is where you post a dedicated thread detailing whatever you'd like to share about your build experience. And (hopefully) we can ooooh and aaaah and ask questions along the way (and you can too).

I don't think that thin mITX may be what you are looking for if you are planning on using a board-powered GPU, unless you are up for getting a powered riser into your case.

You should check out the ATX 160.0 for an idea of what issues you might bump into into. Not trying to scare you, just make you informed. Plus, it's a really cool project. There are more options now than when it was started.