Motherboard Accurate Blank Motherboard & PCIe Card Models 2015-12-14

No permission to download

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Aibohphobia submitted a new resource:

Accurate Blank Motherboard & PCIe Card Models - Great starting point for a custom case design

High precision, low detail blank models of ATX, microATX, Mini-ITX, and HPTX form factor motherboards with mounting holes and IO opening + standard single/dual slot and low profile PCIe cards in their proper relationship to the motherboard. All dimensions from official specs.

Model created by subtec. Uploaded with permission.

Editor's note: I can personally vouch for the accuracy of this model. Project Nova was designed around it and the...

Read more about this resource...

HansWursT619

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2016
Great resource thank you.
Just one question.

Where does the 2.1082mm distance between the edge of the motherboard and the IO Cutout plane come from.
I was looking for this dimension in the ATX specs.

Is this plane supposed to be the inside of the case wall or the outside (if so how thick was the case wall inteded to be?)

Reactions: Ubear

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
It's to the inside of the case wall:

Datum 0,0 is 0.4" from the board edge, so the distance from the board edge to the case wall is 0.083", or 2.1082mm

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
Hi, Thanks for this model...

If only I knew about this one before.

Is it safe to take this work, remove every unecessary object (like text, E-atx etc etc...) Minimize it and upload it with a mention to this file?

I mean Aibohphobia is not here anymore and I can't find any "Subtec" User to ask permission about...

I would like to upload it on my thread and website, with of course a link to this great ressources.

Ubear

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 5, 2020
It's to the inside of the case wall:

Datum 0,0 is 0.4" from the board edge, so the distance from the board edge to the case wall is 0.083", or 2.1082mm

Hello, in the Protacase Website they say 1.651 mm between inside the enclosure to the board edge. Here 2.1082mm. It's a huge difference no ?

Figure 13.1

Last edited by a moderator:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hello, in the Protacase Website they say 1.651 mm between inside the enclosure to the board edge. Here 2.1082mm. It's a huge difference no ?

Figure 13.1

I wouldn't call 0.5mm a huge difference in this application. I don't know where Protocase derives their number from, but the ~2.1mm is from the ATX specification.

Reactions: confusis

Ubear

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 5, 2020
I wouldn't call 0.5mm a huge difference in this application. I don't know where Protocase derives their number from, but the ~2.1mm is from the ATX specification.
There is fews mistakes that i notice in protocase anyway.

It's specified: "We oversize our cutout by .005" (.13mm) all around compared to the form factor recommended opening. (This allows the IO plate snap in a little easier)"

But its not always counted even in the same detail view.
As a example: Figure 6.4 | ATX Front View => the i/o cutout weidth is ok but the i/o cutout hight is not
(if you do some math 51.75mm - 7.3mm = 44.45) there the oversize haven't been counted. Same mistake for the micro atx but 44.58 instead of 44.70.

Ubear

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 5, 2020
Hello, i notice that the MB holes are 6.17mm from the Egde (PCI Side). Should it be 6.35mm ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hello, i notice that the MB holes are 6.17mm from the Egde (PCI Side). Should it be 6.35mm ?

Yes, although the holes are in the correct location relative to everything else. Rather, the board is the wrong size. Mini-ITX is usually specified as 170x170mm, right? In fact it's not. It is 6.7x6.7", which comes out to 170.18x170.18mm. That's why there's a 0.18mm discrepency.

It's not an error that's likely to affect your design in any way, but it's still good to know.

metapath

What's an ITX?
New User
Sep 5, 2021
Hello, can you please help me with file extension? It looses its order when imported in Onshape. Can you please provide file extension that will work for onshape?

PS: No, I can't use fusion360 on Linux

Nurlan

Cable Smoosher
Aug 13, 2020
Hello there, I’m just doing some research found out that every manufacture using different PCIE Chassis Opening, official REV 3 says 13.25mm wide but Aibohphobia's cad says 12.06mm, some (I do not want to give a name) manufactures using 13.75mm (at least that is what my measurements says) I curious is it same on REV 5 or not.

Last edited:

Nurlan

Cable Smoosher
Aug 13, 2020
After a day of research I did find out the PCI Express Card Electromechanical Specification REV 5, well it is same on that REV 5 too, mean while cad's 12.06mm is one for actual PCIE Bracket Keep Out Area not for Chassis Opening, there for you can use 13.75mm because specs mentions 13.25mm as minimum and it is safe to say you can use bit more than.

Last edited:

LeJoop

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 23, 2024
Hello, can you please help me with file extension? It looses its order when imported in Onshape. Can you please provide file extension that will work for onshape?

PS: No, I can't use fusion360 on Linux
Did you ever solve this problem? I am having the same issue right now