A better looking SG13?

Echoic

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
I'm looking to replace my Node 304 and get something a bit smaller. I love the general layout of the SG13 and shoebox cases in general. I like the internals of the SG13, but can't help but think the case is a bit ugly (sorry if that offends any owners of the SG13). I've looked into the LZ7, but that won't accommodate my 3.5 inch drive I use for video editing. Anyone know of an SG13 alternative?

Thanks,

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
SG05, SG06

These cases are generally speaking cheap enough to be able to buy a couple for spare parts if modding goes awry.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
SG05, SG06

These cases are generally speaking cheap enough to be able to buy a couple for spare parts if modding goes awry.

Good recommendation.

@Echoic I'll note you'll probably want to stick with the SG13 as it's basically the same size but made tweaks to allow for longer GPUs after seeing us modders hack up the SG05. I've bought literally dozens of both and I would definitely recommend the SG13 for this reason...it also is much stronger. The SG05 is pretty flimsy.

But I think that Langear perfected the origional style of shoebox case. The Langear Infinity is an awesome shoebox mini-itx chassis, but you will need to find it second hand. Langear definitely was an inspiring brand and had great designs.

All that being said, and with no disrespect to Langear, the Dan A4 I honestly believe destroyed the original shoebox layout. The A4 is not going to be in the same price range as your SG13, but it accomplishes the same thing in a smaller space and with great grace.

Echoic

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
@Josh | NFC I do like the look of the SG05, but ultimately my complaint with it is as you mentioned, the flimsy build quality - tag on to that the sharp edges. But I loved the Sapphire RX480 build you did for the SG05 on your channel. I'm going to start looking into possible mods for the SG13. Maybe do something like what you did to the SG05 with the SG13. That or splurge a bit on an NCASE M1. Even though I prefer horizontal motherboard layout, the M1 has lots of options and is flexible - it's a case I could see myself using for a long time. Thanks for the suggestions!

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
SilverStone Fortress FT03-MINI maybe?
2 liters less than the Node 304, vertical shoebox with less footprint, good quality and better looking than the SG13 IMO.

Reactions: jtd871