5" of power

taftsummerset

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Hi SFF,

I've been waiting to build my SSF Deskmini for a while now. I really like the STX size and can't wait for one with a AM4 socket.

Before buying, I did a lot of research on M.2 and the benefits of NGFF to run a GPU with this. I have a GT1030 for this rig, but not the PCIe riser. I might do a 2.0 build when I get it.... but I'm still working on the mounting / cooling solution.

Anyways, please see below the build.

Specs:
CPU: i7-7700 - 65W was the challenge, as I would have preferred a 7700K.
Memory: 32GB G-skill RipJaws 240MHZ - Max for the mobo.
Storage: SSD 960 EVO and 2x SSHD 2TB
Cooling: Silverstone AR05

So far, the performance is ok, would be interested to hear any feedback or ideas to improve my build.

WINDOWS BOOT TIME
15 secs from off.

CINEBENCH4D
860cb
no openGL at this time

SSD performance
1562 MBs seq write
1244 MBs seq read
909 MBs random write
758 MBs random read

Thanks, Taft.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Are you able to measure the watts drawn from the wall while the system is under load/idle?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Great build, very suggestive title.. lol.

How did you find the build process and the quality of the DeskMini barebones? It'd be interesting to know if the same build quality that I found in the DeskMini GTX/RX is found in the cheaper DeskMinis :)

Reactions: cmyk78

taftsummerset

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Hi everyone, thanks for the comments.

In order of post, here are my responses so far.

1), Power consumption has not been measured yet. I don't have a 'wall meter' or equivalent. If there are any other means to measure, let me know, however, with the equipment in the box so far, I think I'd be pushing the 120W max of the power brick... that said, I have a 300W power brick I could also use if needed.

2) Build quality is great! The enclosure itself is really nice and sturdy. Not sure if it's as good as the MXM ones, but the rails and fitment is super smooth. Very impressed for a $130 barebones package.

3) Yep, I realise I'll lose my M.2 M key SSD if install a GPU ... I was trying to work out if I could do it any other way. The M.2.E key for a SSD is a possible option. Potentially swap out the wifi card for a SSD. It's essentially PCIe 2X which means better than the sata bandwidth for a boot drive. However, then I'd have to use a USB based wifi adapter... which isn't a bad option, as that's probably fast enough and the board has additional USB pins if needed.

Cheers,

Taft.

Reactions: Windfall