180 degree ATX 24pin adapter from 90 degree adapter PCB, help

Stifle

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
(Also posted on R/SFF)
In the ongoing descent into madness, I have hit a bump in the road while refining my most recent build. I always planned to complete a 180 degree 24pin adapter but decided to use what I had on hand to start with.

r/sffpc - Currently powering the daily driver
Currently powering the daily driver...

I would like to replace this mess with a 180 degree adapter that I harvested from a 90 degree adapter. Once I get the fitment right, I will solder the wires to the PCB in pairs to aid in routing in this small case.

r/sffpc - The question is, how do PCBs work again? Planning to solder the wires onto this PCB to run to the PSU.
The question is, how do PCBs work again?

Given the limited amount of space I have to work with between the motherboard and the front panel of the case, I need to know how much of the PCB I can trim off with my Dremel before I damage the traces.

I am not familiar with what is going on inside of the PCB from looking at the outside so I am wondering if anyone on here can give me some advice. I did not anticipate there being LED lights on this model either, they were not shown on the ebay listing. The trace path heading to the bottom right corner is for them, there are a bunch of LED on the opposite side.

Here are a few more pics of the situation,

r/sffpc - Understanding PCB Traces - ATX 24pin 180 degree adapter mod

Here the ruler is placed where the front panel will be when closed. As you can see the trace pads would be beyond the edge of the ruler and would need to be cut into. I don't know if this is a viable solution given how much I would need to cut into what looks like a pad which surrounds each VIA.

Here are some more shots of both sides of the PCB

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I am not familiar with what is going on inside of the PCB from looking at the outside so I am wondering if anyone on here can give me some advice.
There could be traces in between two PCB layers, hard be sure without cutting the PCB, a multimeter should give you hints.

But from what I see on this similar one, and according to its price, they are using a not expensive PCB where there should be only contacts on top and bottom:

Anyhow maybe two of the following will make a combo short enough?

Or food for thought...: http://www.stillthinking.com.au/atx24pin.html

Stifle

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
I only have 6mm above the motherboard ATX power block to work with lol. If you take a look at the build I referenced, its very tight.
I did pick up 2 of the adapters, so I may just have to sacrifice one of them, for science

Stifle

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
I ended up cutting through the pcb song the white line you see in one of the pics. Added the pcie to the OP

Stifle

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
I ended up cutting through the pcb along the white line you see in one of the pics. Planning to seal the cut/sanded edge with nail polish and use kapton tape where the edge might touch the case or psu housing. I'll upload pics of the wiring once I get to soldering it

Reactions: SFFMunkee