1 of 1: A 6.3L Brickless Case

NUMB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
For the SFF build that I am working on I plan to make my own case for it. The general plan is a case that supports the HDPlex 400W system internally with the C14 plug along with an ITX board and a mini version graphics card. This is just a personal, one off project (hence the 1 of 1 name).

I haven't used any CAD software but i wanted to have a play around with the system configuration and make sure that it could all fit and work together. At this stage I am pretty happy with the overall design and the only two points that i want play around with a bit more are the ventilation holes on the back of the case and the GPU mounting.

One of the features that I wanted in the case was the ability to change how it looks if i ever got tired of it. The front of the case has space for a 2mm (to sit flush with the top and bottom panels) insert to be attached. This will most likely be the same material and finish as the top and bottom panels, but I like to have the option there if i want it.

Detailed Specifications:

Exterior Dimensions (L x W x D): 392mm x 234 x 68mm
Volume: 6.3L
Max GPU Length: 225mm
Max GPU Height: 130mm
Max CPU Cooler Height: 45mm
Power Supply: HDPlex 400W AC-DC

Reactions: Sashby and K888D

NUMB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I played around with the GPU the other way around and it seems to be the better solution. It gives more flexibility with graphic card height rather than being constrained by the motherboard.

I've also picked up some Aluminium this week and will probably begin prototyping/production over the weekend.

NUMB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Did a little CAD (cardboard aided design in this case) just to make sure that all of the measurements and cut outs are all ok before moving across to the aluminium. All that is needed is a little less length in the GPU cut out and it should be good to go.

fergunat000

Chassis Packer
Nov 27, 2017
So what is your plan for the space between the GPU and the intended 400w PSU?
Is this room for wider cards, room for ventilation, cables?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Did a little CAD (cardboard aided design in this case) just to make sure that all of the measurements and cut outs are all ok before moving across to the aluminium. All that is needed is a little less length in the GPU cut out and it should be good to go.

Why spend thousands on solidworks???? :):)

NUMB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
So what is your plan for the space between the GPU and the intended 400w PSU?
Is this room for wider cards, room for ventilation, cables?

Just extra ventilation at this stage, but there's clearance for cards up to 14cm high.

fergunat000

Chassis Packer
Nov 27, 2017
Just extra ventilation at this stage, but there's clearance for cards up to 14cm high.
You could look into having the GPU Bracket reversible on the case so you could have the ability to switch it, if space permits. Might not be worth the effort, but could open some building options.

NUMB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
So I started to make the case now that the design is completed. The first step was to print out the measurements and mark them up on the aluminium using a straight edge and a marker (excuse the mess in the shed).

Once the back piece was marked out it was time to cut it to size, but leave a couple of mm so that it can be filed. I like to use a jigsaw for this as it i find it provides a lot more control and precision than a dremel would.

With the rough shape cut out, the edges are filed down to the marked lines and checked with a straight edge to make sure that it is even across the entire edge.

Now with the edge finished and straight it was time to mark out the bend lines onto the piece.

From making a few car parts I have a metal brake that was made out of a few pieces of angle steel with some cheap hinges. It won't bend much more than 2mm of aluminium without upgrading the hinges, but it does the job. The back panel was then put into the metal brake then checked and double checked on each side to ensure that the bend would be straight across the piece.

(not the actual case part, just a test piece)

Then it's just a case of bending it bit by bit until it is 90 degrees. It's always easier to bend it another degree than it is bend back if it is bent too far.

Then rinse and repeat for the other three bends and this is the result.

There's a little bit more work to do just to finish the bends off to get them 100% but its 95% of the way there at the moment.

A few of you might be wondering why I didn't cut out the I/O shield and PCI slots when it was un-bent and the reason for that is that the finished back panel is actually the 3rd one that I made. The first two didn't come out good enough. I knew this was a possibility so instead of spending a lot a time getting those cutouts perfect, it is quicker to do them after the bends have been made.

Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Looking good. In a perfect world you could cut out the IO before hand and everything would line up perfectly, too bad we don't live in a perfect world. ;)

jho

Efficiency Noob
Mar 28, 2018
Looking good. In a perfect world you could cut out the IO before hand and everything would line up perfectly, too bad we don't live in a perfect world. ;)

Did you not read his post at all? Jesus...

Nice progress, I've been designing similar case that I'm about to 3D print someday. Hope everything fits smoothly!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Did you not read his post at all? Jesus...

Nice progress, I've been designing similar case that I'm about to 3D print someday. Hope everything fits smoothly!

I was being ironic.

Last edited:

NUMB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Started to get the rear cut outs done, nothing too major, just a matter of marking out the areas with dimensions from the model, cutting and then filing down to size.

The next job will be removing the protective plastic and doing the final filing, then getting the top and bottom pieces made to bring it all together.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Started to get the rear cut outs done, nothing too major, just a matter of marking out the areas with dimensions from the model, cutting and then filing down to size.

The next job will be removing the protective plastic and doing the final filing, then getting the top and bottom pieces made to bring it all together.
I'm always crazy impressed when people manage to hand-build stuff accurately enough that the rear I/O shield pops into place like a factory-built case. Might be a low bar, but it does not seem like an easy task. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looking pretty good. I've done similar hand made work in a friend's tool shed, but didn't get very far. Accurately placing and cutting the opening for rear I/O was definitely the trickiest for me.

Edit: you also made the right choice of cutting the rear cutouts after bending. I tried cutting them first, then bending, but the cutout was too close to the bend and it warped the entire metal edge around it.

Last edited:

NUMB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Some of the components were received today for this build:

• Ryzen 5 2600
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-I
  • 2 x 8GB GSkill Sniper x 3600Mhz
  • Noctua L9A AM4
  • Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

With the motherboard I was able to go through and do a test fit in the case which thankfully there were no issues with.

After that fitment test it was time to assemble the components and test them together.

For now the system will be living in my caselabs case until the build is finished.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
First thing: I didn't know the SSD heatsink was raised so high on that particular motherboard.

Secondly, does the NH-L9a with Redux fan fit well inside the case? I guess that's to be tested later but I expect that fan will be very flush to the side of the case.

NUMB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
First thing: I didn't know the SSD heatsink was raised so high on that particular motherboard.

Secondly, does the NH-L9a with Redux fan fit well inside the case? I guess that's to be tested later but I expect that fan will be very flush to the side of the case.

It should fit fine with a side panel on, there should be a 1cm gap. But I don't intend to run it with a side panel on, I prefer to leave them off to see all of the components.