【Lz-a4】itx mini 5.3L; with great power comes great ventilation

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018

Behold a Taobao case. Bought it with a 500 watt "platinum" PSU. It is one of the smallest cases I've ever had the frustration of building in, but completely worth it to marvel upon afterwards.

Components:
Ryzen 2700X
Gigabyte AB350N Wifi
MSI Aero ITX 1070
2x16GB DDR4 G.Skill 3200 RAM (Hynix M-Die, able to hit 3200 with some tweaking)
Cryorig C7 x Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM fan + two NF-A4x20 PWM fans, all adapters from forg0t on ebay
FlexATX 500W platinum PSU (优特诚 老y FLEX电源 台达500W 1U电源 )
1tb NVMe XPG SX8200 SSD
2x Velkase VF-8010 fans from @VELKASE Michael 's ebay store

There was no manual for this case, so it was a trial and error process. I will say that there are a lot of gotchas where you will have to undo everything if you didn't have the forethought of putting or wiring something beforehand. Here is the rest of the imgur album, with some comments on difficulty at some point.

scope

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
Thanks for sharing. This case looks interesting to me right now. Is the finish anodized or powder coating? Is the front panel just blank panel? (It seems so on the product page on two photos, but there's no photo of the case from the front.) I take a blank front panel would be the non-customized option. Is the power button included? (I'd prefer the power button on the front, and even a couple of USB ports, but I was told they don't take orders for customizations currently.)

scope

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
Can't help but think a 55m tall cooler might fit this case? That would be like 9mm taller than your Cryorig C7 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM combo at about 46mm. Although the photo on the product page specifies something about the cooler that is 49.62(?)mm. (But I wonder what's that .62 decimal part.)

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Can't help but think a 55m tall cooler might fit this case? That would be like 9mm taller than your Cryorig C7 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM combo at about 46mm. Although the photo on the product page specifies something about the cooler that is 49.62(?)mm. (But I wonder what's that .62 decimal part.)

I think 55mm in this case is impossible. Reason being is that currently there is very little room between the fan and the outer panel. Without the panel on, it looks like there is a lot of room because the side panel is actually thicker than the average case panel (which IMO makes it a very sturdy case).

scope

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
Yeah the side panel looks pretty thick, which is nice. I guess your 3D printed add-on fan adapter is like 1mm thick, so that makes the effective height 47mm there. I guess I could go down to 53mm with a TY-14013R fan, but chances are that's still a few mms too much.

(I speculated the 119m total width of the case, even with thick side panels would allow for like a 55mm cooler, and that because I know no Chinese, wondered what's that .62mm, but maybe that 49.62mm measurement is coming straight out of their CAD.)

scope

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
Thanks, yeah it's probably 49mm cooler height then. (As it is stated in the product description.)
The width of the K39v2 case is about 110mm and it fits a 47mm cooler. https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/my-customod-korkin-to-k39v2-transplant.10988/
This LZ-A4 is 119mm wide but is built out of thicker panels, so yeah.

I've tried to propose them the idea of how about making this case just a few mm's wider and taller to be able to able to fit like a 55mm+ cooler and 92x14 fans in the top area, but my attempt through translation was totally a fail. I also like it as it is, but I wonder how it'd look and perform just a few mm's wider and taller.
Btw, confusis once mentioned 80x10 fans from Noctua might be in the works, hopefully that's still the case? https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/80-x-80-x-10-mm-case-fan-doesnt-seem-to-exist.8016